Hello, new to saltwater here..

Thanks for the welcomes. First question: Is there any reason to do water changes if it's just a tank with live sand/live rocks? Due to Covid-19 stay-at-home, I am having patience forced upon me and cannot visit any LFS. I'm doing water testing and will adjust anything necessary before adding livestock.
your tank of saltwater, live sand, and live rock has bacteria living in it. they need to grow. if you are feeding them they generate waste. in the bacteria that waste is the Cycle. if you are getting ammonia, then nitrites, then nitrates the bacteria colonies are building up. the reason you would do water changes prior to adding fish is to export the nitrates. until the nitrates get high you are good without water changes. in my opinion.
 
Hi - I'm just beginning the process of saltwater reef aquarium ownership. I've had numerous freshwater tanks over the years, but never saltwater.

I'm learning a bunch so far using YouTube and forums like this. I was very impressed with the attitude towards new people on this site so I joined. I'm sure I'll have more than my share of newbie questions!

I bought a Biocube 32 LED and will be adding the InTank media basket and refugium soon. After that I'll just wait until I learn more to see what else to upgrade. In the long run I want to establish a larger tank but wanted to get my hands wet on this one first.

Looking forward to sharing success/failure stories with you all!

Dan
Welcome to R2R....Lots of great folks and info to be had here. Oh and welcome from the east coast of FLA...I'm in Palm Bay. I have been to Ft myers a few times. Nice area.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 25 18.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 47 34.1%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 14.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new