Hello there! New into salt Water Aquarium.

JaviNap90

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello there you guys!

I hope you all are safe and enjoying your home reef as much as possible giving our current global situation.

I wanted to introduce myself as am new in the salt water hobby. I come from 7 years with Fresh water and thought this was the time to make my way into this amazing new world of opportunities. I started back in April with my 160 gallon and bought everything right from the bat at BRS since they gave me the inspiration and pushed to make the jump. I got (2) MP40, (3) 32HD AI, Redsea 300 skimmer, Jebao 1500 return Pump, Tunze ATO system and battery pack for emergency power outage. I know that perhaps i didn't need all that from the beginning but i learned that eventually i was going to go for the high end and just saved time money now than later on expending even more.

I started with dry rock but learned the hard way that nothing good in reefing comes fast. I started adding fish and coral after 4-5 weeks letting the tank get cycled and it appears that i added way to many fish too fast and there wasn't enough good bacteria to handled the load so the tank got nasty. I lost many fish at the beginning until one day i lost them all. it wasn't a power outage but it appears one of the latest fish i got had a parasite and killed everybody in a matter of a week. i lost almost 600 in fish so thats my fault completely.

I did a water change and let the tank fish-less for 6 weeks to let whatever it was to die since there was no host. i have now decided the rock structures that i got are not efficient in keeping the bottom of the tank space to allow flow so am now changing the entire rock structure little by little to give time for the beneficial bacteria to reestablish in the new rocks. I am going with archers since they are pretty nice to aquascape with and leave space for the fish to move around freely,

i hope to learn more with you guys here and if you have any tips or advise please by all means. Also not sure how to upload a picture, it gives me an error every-time. i wanted to show my tank

Thank you all ! Happy reefing.

Brandon Smith

AquaticArsenal.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can always start a build thread and post some pics. We love to help.

received_244003776723671.gif

BighohoReef

A reefer in need is a friend indeed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! You're in great company here! Post a pic of your tank or start a build thread! Looking forward to seeing where the reefing hobby tanks you!

giphy.gif

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. taking my time now, focusing in my tank health and coral and after all is good ill add the fish. i dont have room for QT :( still debating what to do
If you don't have the room for a QT, but you want to QT, there are some services that will do the QTing for you. Otherwise, if you want to QT your fish, are you absolutely positive you don't have the room temporarily? At the very least, I suspect your fish will be in a better place this time around if the tank has finished cycling. Independent of the organism was responsible for their demise before, it's very difficult for new fish to maintain a healthy immunity if the tank is having ammonia spikes or is otherwise not stable.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

MightyMO

"The Algae made me do it!!!"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello there you guys!

I hope you all are safe and enjoying your home reef as much as possible giving our current global situation.

I wanted to introduce myself as am new in the salt water hobby. I come from 7 years with Fresh water and thought this was the time to make my way into this amazing new world of opportunities. I started back in April with my 160 gallon and bought everything right from the bat at BRS since they gave me the inspiration and pushed to make the jump. I got (2) MP40, (3) 32HD AI, Redsea 300 skimmer, Jebao 1500 return Pump, Tunze ATO system and battery pack for emergency power outage. I know that perhaps i didn't need all that from the beginning but i learned that eventually i was going to go for the high end and just saved time money now than later on expending even more.

I started with dry rock but learned the hard way that nothing good in reefing comes fast. I started adding fish and coral after 4-5 weeks letting the tank get cycled and it appears that i added way to many fish too fast and there wasn't enough good bacteria to handled the load so the tank got nasty. I lost many fish at the beginning until one day i lost them all. it wasn't a power outage but it appears one of the latest fish i got had a parasite and killed everybody in a matter of a week. i lost almost 600 in fish so thats my fault completely.

I did a water change and let the tank fish-less for 6 weeks to let whatever it was to die since there was no host. i have now decided the rock structures that i got are not efficient in keeping the bottom of the tank space to allow flow so am now changing the entire rock structure little by little to give time for the beneficial bacteria to reestablish in the new rocks. I am going with archers since they are pretty nice to aquascape with and leave space for the fish to move around freely,

i hope to learn more with you guys here and if you have any tips or advise please by all means. Also not sure how to upload a picture, it gives me an error every-time. i wanted to show my tank

Thank you all ! Happy reefing.
Welcome aboard!!!

Arabyps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. taking my time now, focusing in my tank health and coral and after all is good ill add the fish. i dont have room for QT :( still debating what to do
I don't quarantine my fish. I do purchase them from sources that quarantine and remedial medicate so I have confidence the fish are disease free before they go into my tank.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back