Hello

Baylormom21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for having us here. My husband and I just started our aquarium about 2 months ago. We bought a used 65 gallon with everything in it. This tank has been set up for 20 years now. When we got it the live rock has been well established. Still had some crabs and two corals in it ( toadstool). We have raised our kids and our youngest is getting ready to graduate from college. We have 4 dogs and love bird watching also. So for my birthday I wanted try a saltwater aquarium. We have lost a few fish, shrimp, crabs, snail and a hammer. We still have our toadstools, 2 clownfish our (1st fish we got), lawnmower blenny, and our poly coral is hanging in there. Our phosphate are high and we are trying to get that under control. We have green hair algae going on rn. We are reading and watching YouTube videos and trying to learn as much as possible. This is so interesting and frustrating at the same time lol. We will keep reefing and learning . Thank you

Gernader

Reefing is a never-ending addiction...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!

welcome captain GIF

Patientman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the group! Once you get things under control and start experiencing a few successes it will counterbalance the frustrations! Great bunch of people here to help guide you along the way … don't be shy about asking questions!

Last edited:

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for having us here. My husband and I just started our aquarium about 2 months ago. We bought a used 65 gallon with everything in it. This tank has been set up for 20 years now. When we got it the live rock has been well established. Still had some crabs and two corals in it ( toadstool). We have raised our kids and our youngest is getting ready to graduate from college. We have 4 dogs and love bird watching also. So for my birthday I wanted try a saltwater aquarium. We have lost a few fish, shrimp, crabs, snail and a hammer. We still have our toadstools, 2 clownfish our (1st fish we got), lawnmower blenny, and our poly coral is hanging in there. Our phosphate are high and we are trying to get that under control. We have green hair algae going on rn. We are reading and watching YouTube videos and trying to learn as much as possible. This is so interesting and frustrating at the same time lol. We will keep reefing and learning . Thank you
Welcome ...

glad you joined .
phosphates and nitrates will contribute to algae .
Reducing phosphates will help.
Do you have a sump ?
media reactors such as phosban ?
You could start with water changes . Or adding rowaphos ( gfo ) to a reactor

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome!

Looking forward to hearing about your future successes. Sorry for your losses, its almost to be expected in the beginning, but it doesn't make it any easier. I'm an 'overfeeder' and phosphates are something I'm always working on too. Growing macro algae like chaeto or red ogo in your sump section (if you have a sump section) can help. GFO can help. Blue Vet Phospate Rx can help, but I use sparingly due to having yellow tang (yellow tang is to reef tank what canary is to coal mine)
here is link to where I get GFO cheaper than BRS, I've put mine in an old nylon I cut off foot & some calf, then tied with rubber band and tossed in high flow area of my sump (but there are better ways like a reactor, and eventually I'll do that with my GFO):

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 36 85.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 7.1%
Back