HELP - 2 Spot Bristletooth Tang Stopped Eatin

HD_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the tang went through quarantine perfectly, was added to the DT about 2 weeks ago and has been doing perfectly until 2 days ago. Out of nowhere, she just stopped eating. Before, she was constantly grazing and feed normally during feeding twice a day. There's no spots, markings or any signs of stress. Fins are relaxed and she swims around the tank just as she has done the entire time. There is no aggression from or to her that I can tell. She's not breathing heavy, but does seems to open her mouth wide from time to time. There are no visual issues with her mouth. I'm stumped....any ideas? I've tried mysis, Rod's, pellets, flakes and Nori, but she's not interested in any of it. The other tank mates are all perfectly happy (2 Clarkii Clowns and 8 Blue/Green Chromis).

Params:
Salinity - 1.025sg
Temp - 26.0C
Ammonia - 0
Nitrates - 2.5
Phospates - 0.25

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Roe by nutri something. Its in a bottle. Fridge food.
Or go to the asian market for fresh fish eggs.
Can you turn your lights down a little? Give some time.
D

OP
OP
HD_Reefer

HD_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there algae growing in the tank?
How are you feeding the Nori ?
There is. Up until a couple of days ago, she was keeping it totally clean. She was cleaning the nori off a rock & rubberband, but not interested in that anymore, so I tried a suction clip close to her hideout and she doesn't care about that either.

QT was just observation, no chemicals or treatments. She was a perfect eater from the get go, but had a missing chunk of fin when I got her from the LFS.

Even today, after not eating for a few days, she is visually perfect. I can tell she's starting to thin down a little, but just barely enough to notice.

OP
OP
HD_Reefer

HD_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Roe by nutri something. Its in a bottle. Fridge food.
Or go to the asian market for fresh fish eggs.
Can you turn your lights down a little? Give some time.
D
Is this what you're referring to?

I'll have to see if my LFS carries it or something similar.

Lights are only half way through a 90 day acclimation, so there at 20% peak during the day. Can't imagine that would suddenly affect her, but I will give it a try in the morning.

OP
OP
HD_Reefer

HD_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does the Tang appear to nip at the glass and/or live rock? Some Bristletooths get a lot of their diet from not so obvious supplies
She did, but has totally stopped. She was a super active grazer...the glass, the return nozzles, rocks, snail shells, etc...

Fred2482

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can try food like blackworms to try and get it to eat. Seems suspicious it was eating in QT and for around 10 days in the DT and then just stopped. I would definitely watch closely for any changes.

OP
OP
HD_Reefer

HD_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only visual change to her is that she seems to be keeping her mouth open and then occassionally opening it wide, but never totally closes it. I've been trying to get a pic of her mouth, but I'm pretty sure she knows what I'm up to and completely avoids the camera!

Fred2482

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No sores or discoloration around the mouth? Poop is normal? I'm reading around seems a few things to consider:

OP
OP
HD_Reefer

HD_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going into day 5 of not visibly eating. She seems to be hiding more than normal, but is swimming around just fine. She also seems to have stopped losing weight, so I’m curious if she’s only eating at night! I’ve watched her closely for days now and she has not grazed or went after food at all. Still waiting this out and hoping she’s just being fussy. There are no visual signs of issue that I can see

OP
OP
HD_Reefer

HD_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 7 of not eating. Please watch the video and let me know if you see anything that I’m missing. She looks completely normal, but is definitely hiding more and not swimming around as much as before.

OP
OP
HD_Reefer

HD_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Turned the lights off this morning and now she’s grazing and just ate pellets, so she’s obviously sensitive to the lights. They were still in acclimation mode before and about 27%...so it was definitely not over powering. She has no signs of ICK, Velvet, HLLE or flukes. Any ideas???

OP
OP
HD_Reefer

HD_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plus, she didn’t lose any weight after 8 days of not visibly eating, so I’m guessing she was grazing after the lights went out this whole time.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back