Tang mouth stuck open

DelRayTank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Help!

I just received a package from Live Aquaria that was clearly very roughly handled by UPS... the net result of which appears to be injuries to a Picasso Clown (a cut on its side) and ainjured Yellow Eye Kole Tang....

The tang is still floating in the bag but is clearly hurt. His mouth appears to be injured and seems stuck open. What should I do here? He’s a good looking fish and I would love to get him back healthy.

5D8D22D9-17AF-41B0-9E73-00F9BEA0E674.jpeg C60C9D47-3823-4983-A2A7-8B5BFC531850.jpeg 83FF4E7E-AD7F-448F-BB3D-D814C7166FA3.jpeg

jcricket

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clean water and a methylene blue dip would be my first thoughts. If it is a physical injury I would have no idea. Best of luck!!

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would contact live aquaria but also just keep him and see how he does

Eve

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Help!

I just received a package from Live Aquaria that was clearly very roughly handled by UPS... the net result of which appears to be injuries to a Picasso Clown (a cut on its side) and ainjured Yellow Eye Kole Tang....

The tang is still floating in the bag but is clearly hurt. His mouth appears to be injured and seems stuck open. What should I do here? He’s a good looking fish and I would love to get him back healthy.

5D8D22D9-17AF-41B0-9E73-00F9BEA0E674.jpeg C60C9D47-3823-4983-A2A7-8B5BFC531850.jpeg 83FF4E7E-AD7F-448F-BB3D-D814C7166FA3.jpeg
I would contact Liveaquaria and tell thrm the issue. They should be able to help you! Poor baby. I hope it’s nothing bad.

OP
OP
DelRayTank

DelRayTank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies! I have contacted them and sent them these pictures. They’ve told me to add him to my QT and that they will get back to me with proposed course of treatment. So far, the customer service has been great but I’m really worried for the welfare of this fish!

OP
OP
DelRayTank

DelRayTank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clean water and a methylene blue dip would be my first thoughts. If it is a physical injury I would have no idea. Best of luck!!
How long of a Methylene Blue bath would you recommend? That was also my first instinct. May run for a couple of hours with a heater and air stone...

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long of a Methylene Blue bath would you recommend? That was also my first instinct. May run for a couple of hours with a heater and air stone...
Here's @Humblefish 's treatment with MB

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remove ASAP from the bag, don’t spend too much time acclimating, rather adjust salinity of the QT to that of the bag. The water doesn’t look good, likely high ammonia.

MB may help initially I would then treat with triple sulfa or another sulfa based medicine. It’s likely an injury but looks like there could be bacterial
Infections as well.

Salty Lemon

Doing my best to make waves.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a coral beauty with a mouth like that after he decided to nibble on my anemone. He healed up in time. But I would take what the others said to heart first and give him first aid. I'm just sharing my story on the possible cause.

Tom Blevins

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Poor guy, I had a African Cichlid do this years ago and about 2 weeks later he popped it back in shape!
Good Luck, I love mine quite the work horse in the tank!

I would also take what the others said to heart!
On another note, a lot of women pay a ton of money to have those lips :oops:

OP
OP
DelRayTank

DelRayTank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all. He’s spent 45 minutes in methylene blue and is now in my QT, which at present is unmedicated. I was planning originally to run 30 days of copper then prazi. However, I’m trying to figure out the best course of action here. Should I run general cure? Antibiotics?

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve decided to medicate the QT with Furan, Metro and Kanaplex together to ward off any bacterial infection. Tang is not eating but is otherwise acting normal in the QT and is pretty plump.

hopefully he’ll pull through.

Good choice on administering these medications first. Get his mouth under control and him eating then continue with 3 weeks copper and then 2 rounds of Prazipro with 50% water change between doses 5-7 days apart.

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will do. I’m hoping to have good news to report...
Me too! When it comes to bacterial issues such as these pristine water quality help tremendously, in many cases it resolves the issue alone. Good-luck

OP
OP
DelRayTank

DelRayTank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sent these pictures to @LiveAquaria to ask them what course of action they recommend that I take. Below is their response. In a nutshell, despite the face that the fish has been unable to close its mouth for the past 10 hours that I’ve had it and the fact that it has an open wound on its top lip, they don’t see anything wrong with the tang... I’m pretty shocked by their response here.

1380A77B-D3F8-4771-A06D-616DEA351443.png

LiveAquaria

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sent these pictures to @LiveAquaria to ask them what course of action they recommend that I take. Below is their response. In a nutshell, despite the face that the fish has been unable to close its mouth for the past 10 hours that I’ve had it and the fact that it has an open wound on its top lip, they don’t see anything wrong with the tang... I’m pretty shocked by their response here.

1380A77B-D3F8-4771-A06D-616DEA351443.png
@DelRayTank Thank you for reporting your concern. I agree with you-our response was lacking. Please accept our apology and understand that we are here to help you any way we can. One of our reps just tried to call you, however, the call was dropped. We will send you another email. Our Coral Farm facility mentioned that the image was not especially clear, and could not detect physical concerns. Please work with our team via email and phone. We stand behind our warranty 100% and will work to resolve this with you. Hoping you have a Happy Thanksgiving Holiday with family and friends.
Sincerely,
Live Aquaria

OP
OP
DelRayTank

DelRayTank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@DelRayTank Thank you for reporting your concern. I agree with you-our response was lacking. Please accept our apology and understand that we are here to help you any way we can. One of our reps just tried to call you, however, the call was dropped. We will send you another email. Our Coral Farm facility mentioned that the image was not especially clear, and could not detect physical concerns. Please work with our team via email and phone. We stand behind our warranty 100% and will work to resolve this with you. Hoping you have a Happy Thanksgiving Holiday with family and friends.
Sincerely,
Live Aquaria
Thanks for reaching out! Will get back to you guys.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 20.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 76 34.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.3%
Back