3 Fish with 3 different symptoms

D. Torres

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Short Version:
Male Clownfish ~5 years old - Spots on body appear to be missing color almost like injuries. Not scratching, eating well, has been nesting (digging big 8-10 inch divot in the sandbed).

Sailfin ~5 years old - Left fin seems damaged might be due to fighting (4 zebrasoma tangs in 175g tank)

Yellow Tang ~ 5 years old - dark brownish red vein like thing on both sides of body near its “scalpel”. Appears unbothered, eating and swimming normally not other symptoms.

Can anyone identify any of this? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Long Version: I was on a weeklong vacation. Just set up an auto feeder as I have previously done. When I came back home there was algae on the glass that needed to be scraped off and since I had been away from my tank for a week it was inspected all my fish and coral for any issues. I noticed my male clown fish had a lot of spots on its body but I’m not exactly sure how long he has been like that. He used to be very shy and hide under a rock and would rarely leave his area, even during feeding. I recently purchased a long tentacle plate coral about 3 weeks ago and both my clownfish decided that’s their new home so now he’s out of his previous spot and more in the open. He has been digging a large area under his rock for a couple of months now and doesn’t let any fish or inverts near it. I’m not sure if he has injured himself from all that digging or if it is something from him hanging out in the long tentacle plate coral. The female clownfish shows no similar signs at all and she hangs out in it too that’s why I’m concerned it may me some sort of bacteria or parasite. No other fish in the aquarium shows similar signs. Other than cosmetic he seems unaffected and I don’t want to treat him for something especially if it requires me trapping him and moving him to a hospital tank unless I absolutely have to.

Sailfin tang: As stated earlier I was being more observant when I noticed a possible injury to its left fin. No other fins have any damage damage except a small cut on it’s dorsal fin. No other symptoms but because of my clownfish I’m just being cautious/paranoid.

Yellow tang: The vein like or lightning shape things need it’s “scalpel” appear to be just stuck onto its outer mucus layer. Almost likes it’s just above its actual body if that makes sense. It’s weird to me because it is on both sides of its body. No symptoms no flashing or scratching. Eating like a tang lol. No other fish has this on them.

I know it’s a lot of information but just trying to be thorough so that anyone that can help me has a clear picture. If you have any questions to help you help me let me know. Thanks in advance.

IMG_1134.jpeg IMG_1135.jpeg IMG_1137.png IMG_1178.jpeg IMG_1179.jpeg IMG_1177.jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The sailfin issue is likely tankmate aggression. Trouble is, that isn’t likely to get better unless you identify separate the culprit.
Not sure what the yellow tang has - there is a disease I call “Filigree disease” - it is caused by nematode worms burrowing under the fish’s skin. Trouble is; I’ve never seen that on yellow tangs and you don’t see it on fish that are long term captives.
I have no idea what those spots are on the clown. Can you get video of it under whiter light?
Jay

OP
OP
D. Torres

D. Torres

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The sailfin issue is likely tankmate aggression. Trouble is, that isn’t likely to get better unless you identify separate the culprit.
Not sure what the yellow tang has - there is a disease I call “Filigree disease” - it is caused by nematode worms burrowing under the fish’s skin. Trouble is; I’ve never seen that on yellow tangs and you don’t see it on fish that are long term captives.
I have no idea what those spots are on the clown. Can you get video of it under whiter light?
Jay
Thanks for the reply. The Sailfin, yellow, and scopas tang have been together for about 5 years. A purple tang and hippo tang were introduced to the tank about 3 years ago but unfortunately the hippo tang did not survive when I moved my tank to another house. I looked up the nematode worms and it doesn’t look like that. I attached a video under white lights of my clown. Also when I turned on my white lights my fish got scared and started swimming around fast and now the stuff on the yellow tang must have rubbed off because it’s not on there anymore.

Attachments

• IMG_1180.mov
    60.1 MB
OP
OP
D. Torres

D. Torres

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jay
I don’t think the video worked but here’s a screen grab of the video I took under white lights

Attachments

• IMG_1184.jpeg
    IMG_1184.jpeg
    135.5 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_1183.jpeg
    IMG_1183.jpeg
    135.7 KB · Views: 37

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think the video worked but here’s a screen grab of the video I took under white lights

Yes - filagree disease would not "rub off". It is caused by nematode worms travelling just under the fish's skin, and the lines are the fish's reaction to the parasite, not the parasite itself. They fade over time, but do not just disappear.

The video did load and those pictures are very clear. Trouble is, I don't know what that is! Designer clownfish have some weird skin coloration, I'm not used to working with them, I wonder if this is the reaction they show when hosting in a coral? In wild coloration clowns, those are typically brown or black spots, but perhaps they look like this on a yellow clown?

Jay

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 157 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.9%
Back