HELP!! About to leave Tang!!!

paxton.rock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had my Red Sea salifin tang in QT for 3 weeks after recovering from ich. He has been in my DT for 3 days now with no ich.

Woke up this morning to see him with ich. (Most of the spots in the pic are copepods on the glass)

He’s been upside down almost all day. He has not really eaten anything since going back in DT. I think he has swim bladder. If I flip him over, he just flips right back upside down and swims upside down.

I have a QT tank running right now. What should I do?!?! I don’t want to stress him.

IMG_4559.jpeg

OP
OP
paxton.rock

paxton.rock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are not copepods that tank looks brand new doesn't even have diatoms yet. As far as the tang it is too late now to save it.
I have an ABUNDANCE of copepods in my tank And refugium. It’s almost 1 year old. I’ve had a mandarin for 5 months in my tank staying super fat.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the ich, the treatment would be to remove the fish and treat with copper in a QT. In order for the tang to not get re-infected in the display, all fish would have to be removed and the tank would need to sit fishless for a while (45+ days, depending on temperature).

For an upside down tang, I'm not sure there. I don't have high hopes for the fish to recover if it can't keep itself upright and doesn't eat.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had my Red Sea salifin tang in QT for 3 weeks after recovering from ich. He has been in my DT for 3 days now with no ich.

Woke up this morning to see him with ich. (Most of the spots in the pic are copepods on the glass)

He’s been upside down almost all day. He has not really eaten anything since going back in DT. I think he has swim bladder. If I flip him over, he just flips right back upside down and swims upside down.

I have a QT tank running right now. What should I do?!?! I don’t want to stress him.

IMG_4559.jpeg

Is it breathing fast?

Sorry, this fish is what is called "moribund" or close to death. You won't be able to do anything for it, but what other fish are in the tank with it? They might need to be treated for what is killing your tang.

Jay

OP
OP
paxton.rock

paxton.rock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it breathing fast?

Sorry, this fish is what is called "moribund" or close to death. You won't be able to do anything for it, but what other fish are in the tank with it? They might need to be treated for what is killing your tang.

Jay
Not breathing fast, if anything, it is breathing too slow. Long pauses between breaths. Almost gasping for air. What is killing him?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not breathing fast, if anything, it is breathing too slow. Long pauses between breaths. Almost gasping for air. What is killing him?
Well, the lack of rapid breathing rules out velvet, so that’s good for your other fish.
This could be from having an ich infection for a long time, or it could be a secondary bacterial from the ich parasite.
Jay

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 38 19.7%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 143 74.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 4.7%
Back