Help! Acans dying

PokeFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I recently noticed that my acans will shrivel up for most of the day. I didn’t think this was a big deal until now. The acan is now shriveled up so much it’s skeleton is poking out
image.jpg
pls help. All other corals are doing pretty good. My parameters are
133667C7-952B-4035-AB23-8F39FA14E4DE.png
phosphate is .25 ppm btw. Calcium is also kind of low and my salinity has swung a little. I was not home for 10 days and it went from 1.025 to 1.027 and I’ve brought it down to 1.026

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Placement- center of tank under moderate light and water flow and feed at least twice per week

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Not a lot… and I have been trying to raise nitrates but my phosphates is already a bit high
Phos above .04 will have adverse effect

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a lot… and I have been trying to raise nitrates but my phosphates is already a bit high
Try frozen mysis or something like that. If they are large mysis you can chop up the small cube while still frozen. Will help the nitrates and the corals without adding much phosphate. .25ppm phosphates is on the high side but it's not terrible.

OP
OP
PokeFish

PokeFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try frozen mysis or something like that. If they are large mysis you can chop up the small cube while still frozen. Will help the nitrates and the corals without adding much phosphate. .25ppm phosphates is on the high side but it's not terrible.
Alright but can I still feed it like that. It doesn’t look like it’s ready to accept food

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright but can I still feed it like that. It doesn’t look like it’s ready to accept food
After lights out add a little to the tank and give them 30min or so to see if feeder tentacles will come out. If not you can cut the flow in the tank and put some small pieces near the mouth of the corals. Sometimes when they are in bad shape you may not see feeder tentacles but you can still get them to eat some small pieces in this manner.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After lights out add a little to the tank and give them 30min or so to see if feeder tentacles will come out. If not you can cut the flow in the tank and put some small pieces near the mouth of the corals. Sometimes when they are in bad shape you may not see feeder tentacles but you can still get them to eat some small pieces in this manner.
Thats very good information, can I just add to that peach of knowledge, and not take away from it..

after if no luck with the mysis try reefroids in a very think consistency with no flow so it falls on them and it will make a mucus coat although they are flat it may take in some reefroids since its in the micron size that won't require them to work to break it down to invest it. All while after the lights are off and you tease them a little with food in the water column its expensive but worth it imo

hexumjunkie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I recently noticed that my acans will shrivel up for most of the day. I didn’t think this was a big deal until now. The acan is now shriveled up so much it’s skeleton is poking out
image.jpg
pls help. All other corals are doing pretty good. My parameters are
133667C7-952B-4035-AB23-8F39FA14E4DE.png
phosphate is .25 ppm btw. Calcium is also kind of low and my salinity has swung a little. I was not home for 10 days and it went from 1.025 to 1.027 and I’ve brought it down to 1.026
What app is this?

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 41 36.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 33 29.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back