Help addressing algae issue

Jasontkd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all! I am having a bit of an algae issue I am not quite sure how to address.

Current #'s:
Salinity 1.025
Nitrate 7.62
Phosphate 0
Alk 8.5
Calcium 450
Magnesium 1350
Temp 77-78

My phosphate and Nitrate have been low for a while and bottomed out several months ago. I went through a bit of dino's, but got that taken care of. Phosphate still won't budge, but my nitrates are up to 7.62.

I have some tufts of hair algae popping up around my tank, and have been for a few weeks. I have scrubbed the rocks while vacuuming to manually remove all i can. It is far from being out of hand, but I don't want it to get that way. The hair algae has almost a red tint to it under my lights, but when I pull it out of the tank it is green. I don't think it is bryopsis, but I have been unable to get a good picture of it.

I keep my sand bed pretty clean and have no clouding when I move rocks or drop anything.

I am assuming my nitrates may actually be higher than they are reading and some is getting consumed by the algae. However, they are still pretty low, so I don't want to be too drastic at lowering them to get rid of this algae and cause another bout of dinos.

How would you address this issue? I thought about adding Chaeto to my sump to try and starve it out, but I am not sure if this is the best method. Any help would be great.

OP
OP
J

Jasontkd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have several hermits, and snails, and a cleaner shrimp. The number of each, I couldn't say. I had several turbo snails but I have lost several of them for some reason or another.

I have a 90 gallon setup, and when I I started it up a couple years ago, I ordered a bunch from reefcleaners. I haven't added much since. Some have died, some have multiplied.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phosphate should not be zero, but, I don’t know if your algae is giving you that as a false number.
I’d see if I could dose that up a tad.

OP
OP
J

Jasontkd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been trying to avoid dosing phosphates directly. I have upped feeding, along with reef roids. I also removed some Matrix that I had in my sump. That is how I finally got my nitrates to increase from 0

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 24.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 7 8.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 19 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%

Back