Help! All algae eater fish dead in one day

adword

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The new two barred rabbitfish died in one day. I'm so frustrated about my current situation. My mixed reef tank has been running for a year. And I am currently winning the battle of dino. I didn't put in any algae eaters in the tank since my last tomini tang and 2 damsels died 5 months ago. I put a new two barred rabbitfish in the tank yesterday and everything was fine and the fish was happy. However, the new rabbitfish was dead this morning like my tomini tang dead over night. All the coral are growing. My coris wrasse, watchman goby and one clownfish are still very happy. Snails hermits or urchin are all alive. My tank parameters:KH 9.5, Ca 490, Mg 1390, PO4 0.05, NO3 4.0.

Please help! I'm afraid of putting any herbivores or omnivores in the tank. They just dead in mystery to me. They must eat something very toxic. All the carnivores are all happy. What should I do?

OP
OP
A

adword

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salinity is normal 1.025. Yes, all the fish is from the LFS, but I don't think that's related because my tomini tang was with me for a long time and healthy and suddenly dead over night.

Upvote 0

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi, did the fish eat when you got them ?
@T-J asked the other Q .

Upvote 0

homegrowncichlid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to say that same key word that you used "dino", which is a toxin for herbivores. The snails are also direct herbivores of it, but it's possible they can't get to it for whatever reason, but the rabbit fish can, for example, the dinos could be growing on some hair algae, which the snails won't eat anyway. Hermit crabs could be pulling the dinos off the algae they are eating. I'm just hypothesizing. Anyway, wipe the dinos out with a 3 day total black out. Once you do that, 99% of them will be gone, but they can bloom and repopulate your system within a couple of days. I highly recommend Dr Tim's 2 week procedure, which contains detailed, day by day dosing instructions using both Waste Away and Refresh combo. I can now easily control pest algae in my system, but only after understanding its lifecycle. 3 days of black out will knock out most pest algae. After that you'll need some organism to fill the niche and out compete the pest. Dr Tim's 2 products are bacterial plankton products, which cause a bloom in the water column, which can be skimmed out. Other products like Micro bacter 7, may colonize the sand bed or rock and is fundamentally different from Refresh or Waste Away.

I did the 2 week process, 3 times, once each month (for my corals to recover before repeating), till I controlled my dino problem. I have since done it to control cyano and now routinely use it for hair algae.
(Note dino will encyst onto your nets, or any other object you pull out of the water, including dried areas of your exposed piping, or onto dried glass, between the lower and high water lines of your sump. Once I realized this I was able to stop dinos from re infecting my system, by making sure all surfaces where washed down with sea water during the black out period, and making sure the water was at the highest level.
I've also used Dino X, however that interfered with my algae scrubber, so I didn't finish that process. It is a simply a weak herbicide.

Dinos cause Red tide in the oceans, which kill off all fish in the water, it also bio accumulates in shelfish, causing a known disease, Ciguatera Fish Poisoning

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

adword

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remember that my Tomini Tang was dying in pale color and at the moment of dying she was shaking so hard I don't even want to remember that moment. And this time when I got up this morning, the new rabbitfish dead already and the color is very pale.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

adword

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to say that same key word that you used "dino", which is a toxin for herbivores. The snails are also direct herbivores of it, but it's possible they can't get to it for whatever reason, but the rabbit fish can, for example, the dinos could be growing on some hair algae, which the snails won't eat anyway. Hermit crabs could be pulling the dinos off the algae they are eating. I'm just hypothesizing. Anyway, wipe the dinos out with a 3 day total black out. Once you do that, 99% of them will be gone, but they can bloom and repopulate your system within a couple of days. I highly recommend Dr Tim's 2 week procedure, which contains detailed, day by day dosing instructions using both Waste Away and Refresh combo. I can now easily control pest algae in my system, but only after understanding its lifecycle. 3 days of black out will knock out most pest algae. After that you'll need some organism to fill the niche and out compete the pest. Dr Tim's 2 products are bacterial plankton products, which cause a bloom in the water column, which can be skimmed out. Other products like Micro bacter 7, may colonize the sand bed or rock and is fundamentally different from Refresh or Waste Away.
Thank you very much for the explanation. I will look into it. I feel sooo bad right now.

Upvote 0

paintman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I did the 2 week process, 3 times, once each month (for my corals to recover before repeating), till I controlled my dino problem. I have since done it to control cyano and now routinely use it for hair algae.
(Note dino will encyst onto your nets, or any other object you pull out of the water, including dried areas of your exposed piping, or onto dried glass, between the lower and high water lines of your sump. Once I realized this I was able to stop dinos from re infecting my system, by making sure all surfaces where washed down with sea water during the black out period, and making sure the water was at the highest level.
I've also used Dino X, however that interfered with my algae scrubber, so I didn't finish that process. It is a simply a weak herbicide.

Dinos cause Red tide in the oceans, which kill off all fish in the water, it also bio accumulates in shelfish, causing a known disease, Ciguatera Fish Poisoning
Do you have a link to this process????????

Upvote 0

homegrowncichlid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a link to this process????????

Upvote 0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back