Help an idiot today! Diatoms

TheReefDiary

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my tank is a month old. It cycled in less than 2 weeks (fishless cycle) and has had fish in it for 2 weeks.

I'm starting to notice diatoms forming on the rock (not a ton but definitely noticeable now). Is this part of the process that I will have to go through or is it possible to avoid this?

I know it's normal for it too happen, moreso just wondering if I have to go through this step to have a properly matured tank? Who wants to look at brown spots everywhere if you don't have to.

Also, once they start forming is it time to add a small CUC? Or should I be waiting for a bloom?

Thanks in advance!

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my tank is a month old. It cycled in less than 2 weeks (fishless cycle) and has had fish in it for 2 weeks.

I'm starting to notice diatoms forming on the rock (not a ton but definitely noticeable now). Is this part of the process that I will have to go through or is it possible to avoid this?

I know it's normal for it too happen, moreso just wondering if I have to go through this step to have a properly matured tank? Who wants to look at brown spots everywhere if you don't have to.

Also, once they start forming is it time to add a small CUC? Or should I be waiting for a bloom?

Thanks in advance!
Very much part of the process. I personally would wait on the clean-up crew. BRS would suggest adding pods to the system, however, I don't know how much that would help. I would just wait, the ugly stage is starting. In my experience the more I fought it the worst it got, and created a lot of problems.

OP
OP
TheReefDiary

TheReefDiary

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very much part of the process. I personally would wait on the clean-up crew. BRS would suggest adding pods to the system, however, I don't know how much that would help. I would just wait, the ugly stage is starting. In my experience the more I fought it the worst it got, and created a lot of problems.
Thanks for your advice. Haven't really tried fighting it. All I'm doing currently is weekly 50% water changes. Occasionally dose some seachem pristine. That's really it. Guess I'll wait for more stuff to form before adding a small CUC.

Mark Whitaker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem, and your definitely not an idiot! One of the worst things you can do is start making quick and drastic changes, stability is king when in the new tank phase. If you do need to make a change, be super slow… it’s hard to wait, but your replicating a ecosystem so it takes time

OP
OP
TheReefDiary

TheReefDiary

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem, and your definitely not an idiot! One of the worst things you can do is start making quick and drastic changes, stability is king when in the new tank phase. If you do need to make a change, be super slow… it’s hard to wait, but your replicating a ecosystem so it takes time
That's why I'm waiting until at least December before adding corals. Currently have 2 fish in the system and 2 in quarantine. Plan on adding the tower 2 and getting my water parameters in check before adding corals. I really want to see where my parameters Iike to be before adding corals. That way I can add what will thrive the best.

Mark Whitaker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also another thing to consider, silica feeds diatoms , your substrate has silica… eventually the food source will be spent, and they will slow down. (Salt mix also contains silica, but not too much). It’s actually not bad to have them around, it’s just a part of the food chain.

OP
OP
TheReefDiary

TheReefDiary

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also another thing to consider, silica feeds diatoms , your substrate has silica… eventually the food source will be spent, and they will slow down. (Salt mix also contains silica, but not too much). It’s actually not bad to have them around, it’s just a part of the food chain.
Yeah I think I'm going to have to embrace it at this point. It's coming on stronger and stronger each day. I cut down my lighting schedule a couple hours, but that won't do much. Just hoping the bloom isn't long. I have 2 fish in qurantine but don't want to add them to a system if it's already undergoing a micro warfare.

nosduj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I think I'm going to have to embrace it at this point. It's coming on stronger and stronger each day. I cut down my lighting schedule a couple hours, but that won't do much. Just hoping the bloom isn't long. I have 2 fish in qurantine but don't want to add them to a system if it's already undergoing a micro warfare.
generally diatoms don't affect fish, depending on what fish they are it may provide a secondary food source. Just my .02, its up to you though

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 88 80.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.5%
Back