Help! Anenome Split???

NicLongman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have this bubble anenome, ive had it in the tank for about 3 weeks....clownfish also added at same time and hosting. it looked great from the getgo but now is behaving strangely. its almost looks to me as if it is TRYING to split. it almost looks like a figure 8 but then again kindof not. its so hard to describe. its inflating and deflating often ... more than normal according to threads online. this started happenening about 24 hours ago....about an hour before my lifght were to go out. i got nervous that this would hurt the anem if the light went out during this process so i kept them on throughout the night. i cant imagine that its not the location thats causing this because im assuming it would just move, it also seems as tho the clowns are a bit more protective of it, but they are very careful about touching it and wont go in it anymore. this has been going on all day and still not split. it does look like more of a figure 8. i did allow the lights to out tonight thinking that maybe i should have just dont that in the first place for photosynthisis....any comments? It is directly on top of a hole. which i put another rock in down so it wouldnt be too deep. 75g tank, 2 months old, test the tank almost every day (im OCD about my tank) . 78.5 degrees, pretty high flow for a 75g, amonia did test at 1-2 today so i added 3 caps of prime right away. all other test were normal. i just went and looked with lights out and anem is open with a bit less movement then during the day but the clows are sleeping in it . im guessing that it would have split by now if it was going to. also any advice on placing st thomas mushrooms and bounce?

here is a link to my shared video i did...i have more, and photos as well if you would like
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BxWtT4wuJyVkalFfbWI4NlluOFU

Last edited:

oceanfreak09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just leave it alone. And leave your lights on their regular schedule. Sometimes splits happen quick and sometimes I've heard of them taken a little longer. A bubble tip tends to split anytime there is a change In water conditions, or if it's unhappy. And you said it's only been in your tank for three weeks. I would figure its just splitting because of that.

oceanfreak09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as the mushrooms, people usually tend to keep them lower. Also if you can place them under a little overhang, they will come out for light as needed and eventually move to where they are comfortable.

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You shouldn't be reading ammonia unless you have a dead fish or something in the tank or unless your tank didn't actually cycle properly or fully. The ammonia can also cause your bta to be VERY unhappy.

Let me ask you this.... When your cycle began did you see ammonia rise then nitrite showed up and ammonia began falling? Was ammonia gone by the time nitrates showed up and nitrite fell to zero? Were you using prime or anything else during the cycle process?

OP
OP
NicLongman

NicLongman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the tank was cycled for well over a month before i put anything in it....when i said tank was 2 months i meant after cycle. i have 2 clows, a yellow tank, and a powder brown. and many coral frags. the tank cycled with the amonia spike then dropped then then nitrates up then down and nitrites. about a week after that there was an algea bloom, then i added a few hermits and turbo snails...everything has been great this is the fist issue i have seen or had. i do a 10-15 gallon water change every month. and the tank cycleed on its own...no prime or anything

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something caused the ammonia. It doesn't simply show up for no reason so you need to get to the bottom of that as that is more than likely why you have an unhappy bta. How long ago was the water change? Did you also add fish and or corals around about that time? It could have caused it to go into a mini cycle. Small changes and small editions at a time are best to keep that from happening.

OP
OP
NicLongman

NicLongman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something caused the ammonia. It doesn't simply show up for no reason so you need to get to the bottom of that as that is more than likely why you have an unhappy bta. How long ago was the water change? Did you also add fish and or corals around about that time? It could have caused it to go into a mini cycle. Small changes and small editions at a time are best to keep that from happening.
i will make sure to look....does ammonia spike if corals die?

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are all of your parameters? Salinity, ca, mg, alk, no3, po4 .... Do you feed your bta and if so what do you feed it, how much and how often?

OP
OP
NicLongman

NicLongman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are all of your parameters? Salinity, ca, mg, alk, no3, po4 .... Do you feed your bta and if so what do you feed it, how much and how often?
i tested today and params were
Temp 78
salinity 1.027
Ph 8.0
ammonia 1.o (added prime)
nitrate 0
nitrite 0
calcium 460
alk 8
evertying else normal as far as i can tell

just went and peeked in and clow is still sleeping in it. still looks as if it will split on the left side..where it was starting to pinch together

OP
OP
NicLongman

NicLongman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
all i feed at the current moment is reef roids and brine shrimp every 2 or 3 days

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i tested today and params were
Temp 78
salinity 1.027
Ph 8.0
ammonia 1.o (added prime)
nitrate 0
nitrite 0
calcium 460
alk 8
evertying else normal as far as i can tell

just went and peeked in and clow is still sleeping in it. still looks as if it will split on the left side..where it was starting to pinch together
Yes it might very well split. That's not necessarily a bad thing you will have two of them then ;)

You do need a small amount of no3 2.5-5ppm is enough.

OP
OP
NicLongman

NicLongman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this will be hour 30 about in my assume split..... here is a pic i just took of the anem with clowns sleeping. you can see right about the lower clown the crease im talking about. you cant really tell anything from this photo but here it is all the same

OP
OP
NicLongman

NicLongman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Crap! just retested gettin real! ph 7.6 (early morning, not worried) ammonia 2.0, nitrates 0, nitrites .25
ammonia was at 1 yesterday, i added prime at the correct dose for 75g tank. saw snails dead everything else is fine, no bleaching or anything.

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 103 42.7%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 116 48.1%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 9 3.7%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 5 2.1%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 8 3.3%
Back