Help. Any idea what this can be? Uronema?

jayke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Just found this on my clown tonight. I’m concerned he might not make it, he’s still eating well. Any thing I can do to start him on the right path? Thank you so much in advance.

14F5CB97-5497-4F6D-B728-553A846AD971.png 3B35A4CC-C50B-44EF-A80B-14066427EF0D.png

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Just found this on my clown tonight. I’m concerned he might not make it, he’s still eating well. Any thing I can do to start him on the right path? Thank you so much in advance.

14F5CB97-5497-4F6D-B728-553A846AD971.png 3B35A4CC-C50B-44EF-A80B-14066427EF0D.png

Welcome to Reef2Reef!

It doesn't look like Uronema, too shallow and light colored.
Is it on just the fish's right side, or can you see it on the left side as well?
Do you have other fish in with it?
How long have you had this fish?
It is still feeding, does it show any other symptoms other than this discoloration?

Jay Hemdal

OP
OP
J

jayke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

It doesn't look like Uronema, too shallow and light colored.
Is it on just the fish's right side, or can you see it on the left side as well?
Do you have other fish in with it?
How long have you had this fish?
It is still feeding, does it show any other symptoms other than this discoloration?

Jay Hemdal
Hi Jay!

First, thank you so much for replying.

1. Yes, just on the right side, no other side.

2. I’ve had him for a good 6-7 months. He is still eating very good, swimming around. No signs of distress at this time. He is currently the only fish having this discoloration, I’m just worried it might developed into something more serious, so I wanted to do my due diligence.

3. Side note, I did initially buy him blemished, they called it. From what I’ve understand, looks like he had lymphocystitis, so his mouth was blemished with white bumps. However he made it through QT. No other signs of distress and was eating really good, so he made it to the DT.

4. I do have other fish with the Clown. Royal gramma, Mandarin, Clown (2), Yellow tang, Sunburst Anthias, red Fairy Wrasse, sand sifting goby, rainforest goby, cardinal fish.

LPS dominant tank w/4 mangroves.

They’re in a 100 gallon, everyone is relatively peaceful, so I’m not suspecting any stress induced diseases.

Parameters are as follow:

Tank is about 3 years old.

salinity: 1.026
pH: 8.2
Mag: 1380
Ca: 485
dKh: 9.5
Phos: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 5

Thank you again for all the inputs.

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Jay!

First, thank you so much for replying.

1. Yes, just on the right side, no other side.

2. I’ve had him for a good 6-7 months. He is still eating very good, swimming around. No signs of distress at this time. He is currently the only fish having this discoloration, I’m just worried it might developed into something more serious, so I wanted to do my due diligence.

3. Side note, I did initially buy him blemished, they called it. From what I’ve understand, looks like he had lymphocystitis, so his mouth was blemished with white bumps. However he made it through QT. No other signs of distress and was eating really good, so he made it to the DT.

4. I do have other fish with the Clown. Royal gramma, Mandarin, Clown (2), Yellow tang, Sunburst Anthias, red Fairy Wrasse, sand sifting goby, rainforest goby, cardinal fish.

LPS dominant tank w/4 mangroves.

They’re in a 100 gallon, everyone is relatively peaceful, so I’m not suspecting any stress induced diseases.

Parameters are as follow:

Tank is about 3 years old.

salinity: 1.026
pH: 8.2
Mag: 1380
Ca: 485
dKh: 9.5
Phos: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 5

Thank you again for all the inputs.

Well, I think you can rule out most common infective or systemic diseases - no other real symptoms, no other fish affected and only being on one side of the fish tend to steer me away from that. Therefore, I can't really come up with a possible treatment.

To other possibilities - it is getting stung by a LPS that it wasn't venturing near before. Of, the dynamics between the clownfish have broken down and this one is getting tagged along its side (you may never see this happen, clowns are pretty sly about hiding their fighting).

Jay

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 15 7.9%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 34 17.8%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 127 66.5%
  • Neither.

Votes: 9 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.1%
Back