Help Aptasia and Vermetid snails!

ShoreReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need some help, over the past few months my 1 yr old 125 gallon tank has been overrun with vermatid snails and aptasia. I have a had a file fish in the tank from the beginning and he doesn't touch the aptasia. I tried Aptasia X and now have many more than before. I even put a copperband butterfly in about a month ago that doesn't seem to touch them.
As far as the vermetid snails i added 50 bumble bee snails last month and it's hard to tell but they may be helping. The tank has finally turned a corner and i finally have coral starting to encrust and grow so i'd hate to break it down and start over but i realize it may be a possibility. What is anyone's opinion?
I started with dry rock that came out of a fellow reefers tank a year before and i cleaned in a vinegar bath the rock is now covered with coralline algae. I run a trident and recently started dosing 2 part with the DOS as the kalk stirrer wasn't keeping consistent parameters. Parameters are as followed:
Alk:8.92
Calc:374
Mag:1584
PO4:.05
NO3:16

muzikalmatt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With vermetids it really depends on the strain/species you have in your tank. Some species are more irritating to the corals than others. My rockwork is covered in vermetids and while they are a bit of an eyesore, they don't really bother my corals so I've learned to live with them. As long as they aren't bothering your corals, I wouldn't break down your tank over them, unless the sight of them really bothers you that much.

Regarding aiptasia, I guess it depends on the level of infestation. I don't have as much experience dealing with them as I've only had one in the very early days of my tank and haven't seen any since. *knock on wood* I do know Aiptasia X tends to spread them, so I would recommend Frank's F-Aiptasia instead. It kills and seals in the aiptasia so they can't spread through the tank.

Ultimately, I wouldn't think either pest necessitates a tank breakdown, unless you really just can't stand having them in your tank. However, be wary as I've read/heard numerous stories of people breaking down tanks due to vermetids or aiptasia only to have them come back in the rebuild anyways.

OP
OP
ShoreReefer

ShoreReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With vermetids it really depends on the strain/species you have in your tank. Some species are more irritating to the corals than others. My rockwork is covered in vermetids and while they are a bit of an eyesore, they don't really bother my corals so I've learned to live with them. As long as they aren't bothering your corals, I wouldn't break down your tank over them, unless the sight of them really bothers you that much.

Regarding aiptasia, I guess it depends on the level of infestation. I don't have as much experience dealing with them as I've only had one in the very early days of my tank and haven't seen any since. *knock on wood* I do know Aiptasia X tends to spread them, so I would recommend Frank's F-Aiptasia instead. It kills and seals in the aiptasia so they can't spread through the tank.

Ultimately, I wouldn't think either pest necessitates a tank breakdown, unless you really just can't stand having them in your tank. However, be wary as I've read/heard numerous stories of people breaking down tanks due to vermetids or aiptasia only to have them come back in the rebuild anyways.
Thanks for the reassurance, I obviously do not want to break it down and don't mind doing whatever it takes to get through it as long as it's a possible task. I'm thinking about getting 10 peppermint shrimp for the Aptasia, do you think that would be the correct amount?

billyocean

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lemon juice in a diabetic needle through the head of the aptasia has worked for me. Didn't spread. Just make sure it's in the "head"

muzikalmatt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reassurance, I obviously do not want to break it down and don't mind doing whatever it takes to get through it as long as it's a possible task. I'm thinking about getting 10 peppermint shrimp for the Aptasia, do you think that would be the correct amount?
No problem! I considered breaking my tank down over the vermetids as well but came to realize that they weren't really that big of a problem. And once the coral started to fill in, I didn't even notice them as much

I would be careful with the peppermint shrimp. Maybe try one or two first. I had one in my tank go rogue and start eating my euphyllia. You also need to make sure it's the right species otherwise it's not going to eat your aiptasia.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back