HELP! Auto-water change / need longer cord

Richmond

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good day r2r. I currently have my IM40 hooked up to an Autoaqua automated water change system. It's awesome, I love it, and I want to run it on my 250. The issue is, the setup requires you to use the stock pump, which is on a ~6 foot cable. I really don't want a 50 gallon reservoir in the house, and already have one in the garage!

I'm curious if anyone has an opinion on how to make this work. My initial thought is to cut the pump off the cable, and use that as an on/off switch to an extension cord that's connected to the much larger pump in the garage. This distance is about 20 feet. The drain will go under the house and into our waste water plumbing. The return plumbing will also go from the garage, under the house, and right to the tank. When the refill pump is activated, it will send the signal to the switch, which will turn on the pump in the garage... That will send water to the sump.

Am I on a decent track? Am I missing something obvious? Any other ideas? I can't really think of any other way to get water 20 feet. The stock pump won't move it that far, and the cable isn't nearly long enough anyway.

As always, your input is appreciated!!!

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a definite maybe :)

The relay switching the pump on and off needs to be able to handle whatever load you are attaching to it. Using it as a switch, in theory is fine, it is just that load limit. One possible option is to use the output of the AWC system to trigger a more powerful relay.

Back