Help! Best sump ?? Lifereef ??

What should I do?

• Total voters

Amateur reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello I recently decided to upgrade my tank I have always had an all-in-one nano tank but now I have a 75 gallon tank that I plan to build I've been searching everywhere for what sump I should go to I Initially had Emerald sump planned but ran into someone with a life reef sump and I gave Jeff a call. His sump seemed promising but I just hate that 3 month wait. What kind of sump do guys run or is life reef worth the wait ?
Every refugium is a must!

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!
Wtr2r23.gif
#WelcometoR2R
I really like the trigger sumps. Going to be running a crystal sump on my 75.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Loved my lifereef sump on my older setup but I'll be going a different route with my new build. Jeff's quality is pretty solid but I do feel there are better options out there sump wise. As for skimmers though, It was the first skimmer I've ever owned and I'll never buy a different brand.

W1ngz

Failed Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make a list of the features/options you want, it will help narrow the list. I just finished shopping for sumps for my system. I went with a Fiji Cube 30 because:
-I wanted a refugium, but it doesn't need to be huge.
-I wanted a skimmer section big enough for my older skimmer that has a large footprint
-I wanted a flow-over floss basket instead of straight down filter sock inlet.
-I liked the blue highlights, which match my blue PVC plumbing.
-I didn't want to pay the extra price for the Trigger sumps with the same or similar features.

russell13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can also look into a custom sump. It really allows you to maximize available space under the tank. Plus you can customize it to your liking and filtering needs. You call talk to John at advance Acrylics and tell him what you’re looking for, I’m sure they can accommodate you. Not sure about wait time and pricing but I can vouch for there quality

U

User1

View Badges
Lots of options. There is no best. What works for me, or others here, may not for you. There is a list for a reason - he makes great products. If there wasn't a list and he asked you to wait 2 to 3 months then I'd worry. Be that has it may I'm similar to the person above who commented on the skimmer. I purchased one back in 2000 and I'm still using it today. I even called to ask if it was worth buying a new one. He said no. Same thing only a few small changes that have nothing to do with the skimming performance. He could have sold me a knew one but instead was honest and said to save the money.

I said cool. Called him a month later and asked about a sump and he said sure. So I bought the sump and waited. Good quality which is what I expected. Packaged very well such that it could withstand silly shipping hand or a low yield nuke. My point is that his products work for me and work well. I also like to support small businesses / family owned. I know there are probably other sumps or skimmers that will work just as well, or maybe even better, but this is what I went with.

TL;DR - there is no best. Make a list of options you must have, then a list of options that would be nice but not mission critical. Then look at your growth (upgrade future). Lastly, your budget. Then make a decision.

OP
OP
Amateur reefing

Amateur reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! Thank you everyone that responded! What a turn out! I'm very excited ! I wanted the have it setup already for reefapalooza coming up in August but I think I might wait for my build, I'm getting his sump with his skimmer, media reactor, refugium, and calcium reactor, although I'm not 100% sold on his calcium reactor, I've seen some awesome ones out there !

OP
OP
Amateur reefing

Amateur reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! Thank you everyone that responded! What a turn out! I'm very excited ! I wanted the have it setup already for reefapalooza coming up in August but I think I might wait for my build, I'm getting his sump with his skimmer, media reactor, refugium, and calcium reactor, although I'm not 100% sold on his calcium reactor, I've seen some awesome ones out there !

I still have till the end of this month to change me mind thought, reefing is complicated, I want it alll!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back