Help! Biocube Leaking From the Front Lip

mistergray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ugh….my biocube is leaking from the front, under the plastic that the lid sits on. I moved my powerhead the other day when it started. After it started leaking I moved the powerhead back to its original spot, but I also pushed down on the lip of the aquarium as well to help stop the leaking and that worked. It started again today and this time I turned off the powerhead and it’s still leaking.

I’m really not sure what I’m missing here and not sure what I should try next. Suggestions needed!

I hate to put money into a whole new tank after buying so much for this tank but definitely I am definitely considering it.

36A292D9-C5E2-485B-A761-CABCAA79F6AC.jpeg 3A725347-59C5-4408-B4CD-CD99A54E11B3.jpeg

Biokabe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had that happen to my BC many years ago. I fixed it permanently with some clear silicone along the lower edge of the rim (on the exterior). You don't have to drain it as long as you apply the silicone to the outside.

It will be visible unless you're very careful with application, so make sure you're OK with how it looks before you go down that route.

Upvote 0

Brady4000

I just wanted a Mantis Shrimp.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe I fixed my own issue. I readjusted the powerhead again and redirected the return water valve. It’s not leaking at the moment.
That’s good, but just know, it’s not supposed to do that, you do have a leak. So I would take this advice.

I fixed it permanently with some clear silicone along the lower edge of the rim (on the exterior).

Upvote 0

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 vote clear silicone

looks way better than gray duct tape <wink>

Consider yourself lucky, instead of top edge what if it were bottom edge?! If it were me, I'd drain it down and fix it on the inside side, let it cure, then refill once silicone says its safe to expose to water

Upvote 0

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I've had one of those too... that's about how it ended up too!

It is safer and less obtrusive to seal it on the inside, but with the obvious drawback that you have to drain the tank to apply the silicone.
I've heard tanks should be resealed about every 10 years... UGH... my tank is about 10 years old and I will wait until something (hopefully small and hopefully high) makes me do it. I'll likely patch it with duct tape and call in a LFS that does resealing. They'll also 'housesit' my fish and corals which will all have to move out for the process.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
mistergray

mistergray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had that happen to my BC many years ago. I fixed it permanently with some clear silicone along the lower edge of the rim (on the exterior). You don't have to drain it as long as you apply the silicone to the outside.

It will be visible unless you're very careful with application, so make sure you're OK with how it looks before you go down that route.
Great idea! I’ll definitely do this.

Upvote 0

Brady4000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This super sucks being that I’ve only had the tank for about 6 weeks now. :confused:
That’s stinks, but it’s in a good location to seal it on both sides. Won’t ever have a problem with it again. Just do a good job. Especially because it new, going to ruin your day if you mess something up or make it look ugly.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
mistergray

mistergray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s stinks, but it’s in a good location to seal it on both sides. Won’t ever have a problem with it again. Just do a good job. Especially because it new, going to ruin your day if you mess something up or make it look ugly.
Guess I better be super careful. I’ve never used silicone before. Yikes! :oops:

Upvote 0

Brady4000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guess I better be super careful. I’ve never used silicone before. Yikes! :oops:
Wouldn’t be too worried about it. If you get some where you don’t want it. You can use a razor blade to get it off. Just don’t cut into any of the silicone that came with the tank. That would stink.

Upvote 0
Back