Help building stand?

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Considering a glass cages 8 foot 240. I have a 6 foot stand I built that I really like, and it's alot stronger than their stands. do y'all think it would be possible to just tack on another 2 feet to it? It's already wide ebough, and my sunp is already plumbed behind it. Trying to prove upgrades
IMG_20190610_172040.jpg

IMG_20190610_172419.jpg

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm torn between the 6 foot taller 240 that will fit on this stand, or the 8 foot with a new stand etc. The end game is room for an emperor or blue face angel, and Atlantic blue tang.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm torn between the 6 foot taller 240 that will fit on this stand, or the 8 foot with a new stand etc. The end game is room for an emperor or blue face angel, and Atlantic blue tang.

The 8 foot tank would provide more swimming space for the fishes and would be easier to reach the bottom as you do aquascaping and maintenance. Good luck!

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would build another stand. This way you can ensure that 8' run of wood is true. Much better then a 6' run that is true with a 2' run that may be a little off and cause issues with the tank.

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Build another stand. I had an eight foot 500 gallon. If you like tangs and angels (like me!) you will definitely like the extra 2’. If you stock with SPS, a tank that size will suffer minimally when the angel starts hunting. Main thing is, the extra 2’ gives you way more options and is absolutely incredible. Mine was roughly 8x3x3.

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Build another stand. I had an eight foot 500 gallon. If you like tangs and angels (like me!) you will definitely like the extra 2’. If you stock with SPS, a tank that size will suffer minimally when the angel starts hunting. Main thing is, the extra 2’ gives you way more options and is absolutely incredible. Mine was roughly 8x3x3.
This is and will be a fowlr system I have a couple reef tanks upstairs

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ife read issues with the marineland dds which this is one of. Is there any dangers like I've been reading of known seal issues?
The biggest issue with the Marineland DDs is the bracing cracking, and then they spring a leak. I had one that I resealed, as it was leaking at a seam, and then did an aluminum trim/brace for the bottom and top.

@dantimdad has a good layout of how to easily and cheaply do an aluminum frame for a tank.

But if it is a 300DD and it is not leaking, now would be the time to do the aluminum frame and then never worry about it.

drcrook

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you can probably tack onto the stand, hardest thing will be matching wood and stain.

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine came from glass cages. I’ve had marineland tanks (my last 60cube) and never had issues.
The cheapest option is a 6 foot 240 from glass cages. As it will fit on my existing stand, and very limited upgrades, just basically a pump. Any photos of your glass cages tank? Is that my best option? I'm mostly after a large angel.

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The cheapest option is a 6 foot 240 from glass cages. As it will fit on my existing stand, and very limited upgrades, just basically a pump. Any photos of your glass cages tank? Is that my best option? I'm mostly after a large angel.
Wow.... I had that tank 13 years ago. Let me look. I might can come up with something.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back