Help! Butterfly fish

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After I dip him can he go back into the display or does he need to go to a qt...and the worse question...is this going to destroy my entire tank

If he has flukes (photos below on what to look for - little white oval things), then the entire DT can actually be treated with a medication called Prazipro: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/prazipro.247598/

1459813172723-jpg.336938
1459813183075-jpg.336939

FYI; More info on flukes here: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/flukes-–-general-guidelines.224423/

OP
OP
TJFitz1980

TJFitz1980

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok here is a question. If prazipro is safe to use in tank...why not avoid stressing the fish with fresh water dips and just treat the tank

Empress

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok here is a question. If prazipro is safe to use in tank...why not avoid stressing the fish with fresh water dips and just treat the tank

Fresh water dips help to dislodge many of the flukes beforehand. Do the dip in a black or dark blue bucket and shine a flashlight on the bottom. If you see little white oval shapes, then you got flukes. Then you'll use Prazipro. If you don't have flukes or other worms then you won't need Prazi.

And you CAN use Prazipro in DT, but only after you confirm that you really need it.

Don't use it if you don't need it. That's why you'll do a fresh water dip first. Hope that helps. [emoji846]

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fresh water dips help to dislodge many of the flukes beforehand. Do the dip in a black or dark blue bucket and shine a flashlight on the bottom. If you see little white oval shapes, then you got flukes. Then you'll use Prazipro. If you don't have flukes or other worms then you won't need Prazi.

And you CAN use Prazipro in DT, but only after you confirm that you really need it.

Don't use it if you don't need it. That's why you'll do a fresh water dip first. Hope that helps. [emoji846]

To add to this^: Prazipro causes the flukes to spasm and die. If a fish is heavily infested with them the bulk spasming of the flukes while they are dying can actually cause the fish harm, even to the point of death. So a freshwater dip is a great way to lessen the amount of flukes on the fish before dosing prazi. It's minimally invasive and much less stressful on the fish than it is on us. I've done literally 100's of freshwater dips and only lost a few fish that were at death's doorstep already. If he doesn't survive the dip, you probably wouldn't have been able to save him no matter what you did. I hope that helps

OP
OP
TJFitz1980

TJFitz1980

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok guys. I'll do the dip when I get home...I was in the process of getting the qt set up but realized I leave out of town tomorrow afternoon. So guess I'll dip this evening and hope for the best.

OP
OP
TJFitz1980

TJFitz1980

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well...got home setup to do the fresh water dip and he had already passed away. I went ahead and put him in the water to see if anything comes out

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry for your loss. At least you know the probability of flukes being in your tank is much less than before the dip.

Marlon2024

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This hobby is weird like that some fish are healthy one minute and sick the next. Could be anything I'm guessing maybe even cyanide poison

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 56 40.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 16 11.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 39 28.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 26 18.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back