Help came home to sick firefish

Rickybobby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone. Came home to my princess poopy laying in the corner gills inflamed breathing slow still. Right eye a tad cloudy.
This fish previous with the other 3 were in qt for 8 weeks with copper and prazipro. Passed with flying colours and have been in the display for 3 months. No issues. Also haven’t added a single living thing since. Anything else is in qt. One thing I noticed a few weeks ago was a white dot like a sore on her side. But she seemed ok. Her poop right now is all squiggly and had some black in it. Ammonia zero. Only other thing did some water changes in last week to introduce rodi water. That’s it

OP
OP
Rickybobby

Rickybobby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also where that sore was is swollen she won’t let me take a pic of that side

OP
OP
Rickybobby

Rickybobby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish get fed pellets usually and every 3 days frozen mysis. Possible for her to get sick from the mysis shrimp?

OP
OP
Rickybobby

Rickybobby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow put frozen brown in the tank she came alive abs are. But she let me get a pic of the sore in the middle of her body

6030AA6E-D8C8-42EF-AFFD-95BC708A3C2D.jpeg

OP
OP
Rickybobby

Rickybobby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Temp 78f salinity 1.026. Tank been cycled and running since March. Everyone else doing great. My little girl came home and was like daddy what’s wrong with princess poppy I felt so bad

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You mean the spot in the middle of the fish where the body changes color? Not clear enough to see, could be a bump/bruise. It ate the brine shrimp well though? Maybe you could move this and the damsels to a qT and treat with General Cure?

Jay

OP
OP
Rickybobby

Rickybobby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes ate well even though she was sitting in the corner. Not breathing hard though I don’t have general cure here in Canada I have prazipro and copper safe

OP
OP
Rickybobby

Rickybobby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So princess poppy is still alive two days later she rests in a corner than does some swimming. Her eye looks like it has bubbles coming off it. She’s in prazipro in the main display. Didn’t want to move her into a qt unless I had too any other suggestions

70662C9A-AE71-4F93-B95D-01B7D82CDAC8.jpeg

OP
OP
Rickybobby

Rickybobby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Her breathing has sped up a bit when she rests I’m not sure if a fresh water dip is good or just let prazipro do it’s thing and let her live out the rest of her days with her two clownfish buddies ? The

Perthegallon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Qt I’m pretty sure that’s a bacteria infection with in the eye you need medications

OP
OP
Rickybobby

Rickybobby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m disappointed in r2r this week. This is my first sick fish post and I haven’t gotten much feedback
General fire doesn’t exist here copper and prazipro I needed a lot of info two days ago. But throwing a fish into a hospital tank with copper doesn’t mean much as she doesn’t have ich or velvet or brook sorry but we’ve had many days. Maybe I should have bumped

Ksull72487

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Her breathing has sped up a bit when she rests I’m not sure if a fresh water dip is good or just let prazipro do it’s thing and let her live out the rest of her days with her two clownfish buddies ? The
I used to do Freshwater dips and saltwater dips for a living when I took care of all of Petco Tanks at my local store. I wouldn’t do one for this. You could try to medicate Maracyn.

QT and Raise temp very slowly and oxygenate the tank.

I can’t see the sores your talking about etc. So it’s too tough to advise.

Only time I did Fresh or Saltwater dips was for serious cases of Ich in an effort to save the fish. It’s a heck of a lot of stress on the fish. They could die especially if their already weak.

First things first back in QT with perfect parameters raise the temp slowly and oxygenate the water. You could try Melafix or Pimafix. Against Petcos policy I dosed every single one of my sumps with that stuff cuz the distributors don’t always do it right. Carbon would clear it out anyways. Yeah sure I’d check the shipments and refuse them if I saw something sick. I held lowest mortality rate in the district by a lot. Lol I dosed the tanks. That’s natural stuff too. Should be available.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rickybobby

Rickybobby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you but once again in Canada and all I have is prazipro and copper safe

Ksull72487

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you but once again in Canada and all I have is prazipro and copper safe
Okay so you could try Tea Tree oil. That’s basically what Melafix is. I have done coral dips with some. That’s going to be a tricky one tho to figure out the dosage. If you do this start with less. Less is more. You can look stuff up on tea tree oil. I’ve done coral dips with it. May or not work. But that is Melafix. Just make sure it’s real. Not fake.

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m disappointed in r2r this week. This is my first sick fish post and I haven’t gotten much feedback
General fire doesn’t exist here copper and prazipro I needed a lot of info two days ago. But throwing a fish into a hospital tank with copper doesn’t mean much as she doesn’t have ich or velvet or brook sorry but we’ve had many days. Maybe I should have bumped

Sorry - I respond to sick fish messages here on R2R for a half hour before work, during my lunch hour and then 2+ hours at night... I thought I responded pretty quickly on Monday.

The firefish looks much worse, that eye is bad, are both affected? It could be bacterial as was mentioned, but it could also be flukes.

Part of the issue here is lack of medications available for in Canada. All I can really suggest is either leave it be and see if it gets better, or give it a FW dip to rule out Neobenedenia flukes that prazi doesn’t work well on.

Jay

OP
OP
Rickybobby

Rickybobby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you jay. The one eye has gotten worse. But the other eye is perfect. I didn’t mean to put pressure on anyone I’m sorry for that. I just felt I’ve had a large window to maybe help her that’s all. Tomorrow after work if she’s still alive I will do a fresh water dip

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
fRESHWATER DIP TAKES 5 MINUTES. i PERSONALLY WOULD DO IT RIGHT AWAY THAN WAIT FOR THINGS TO WORSEN

Mr. Fishy Fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m in Canada. All I have is prazipro and copper safe and she’s in prazipro

You can order GC from the states to Canada. Here's a link.

You can also get all the other medications on ebay.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 36 30.8%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 2.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 32 27.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 41 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.3%
Back