Help choosing appropriate lights

RN_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I am looking to upgrade my reefs lights from the stock lights that come with my Aquatop 40g cube to a better light. I’m thinking about the AI prime 16 but am unsure if one would be enough. I am going for a mixed tank with softies on the bottom, lps in the middle and some easier sps on the top. Any tips or ideas would be appreciated!

8C1BD4C7-DFCC-4119-8D01-D2908CB6AE8D.jpeg B6E1D464-299A-4A0D-924B-7F69E2839DDD.jpeg

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A single prime would work but I advise against AI products till they stop selling lights with meltable lenses.

Do you prefer hanging the light, using a mounting arm? What features do you want in a light (think of them all and it will be easier to narrow down options)? What is the ideal price range?

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not an expert, but have had a 16 on a 20, and it was not quite enough spread for a 40 if SPS is your mid term goal - my son has a G5 on his 40 and it seems perfect.
Have 2 32s over a frag tank, and was not aware of the issue Spare Time reports - news to me

OP
OP
R

RN_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I
Not an expert, but have had a 16 on a 20, and it was not quite enough spread for a 40 if SPS is your mid term goal - my son has a G5 on his 40 and it seems perfect.
Have 2 32s over a frag tank, and was not aware of the issue Spare Time reports - news to me
so my goal would be to just have sps on the top rock. I’m hoping for more of a mixed tank. I’d probably like to keep it sub 500. I also live in a apartment so I can’t mount it from the ceiling so it will have to be tank mounted.I have spent enough money already haha. I think my fiancé would kill me if I spent more

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I

so my goal would be to just have sps on the top rock. I’m hoping for more of a mixed tank. I’d probably like to keep it sub 500. I also live in a apartment so I can’t mount it from the ceiling so it will have to be tank mounted.I have spent enough money already haha. I think my fiancé would kill me if I spent more
would rather have your relationship thrive than some acros

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
21 wide - 21 tall -18 deep
I think you'd be happier with a Hydra 32 over a Prime. People do like Primes, and you could add another later if you don't think you're getting the coverage you need.

There are lots of options. A single 150 watt Metal Halide pendant would be really easy, and that might be my choice. Assuming you want LED:

Noopsyche K7 is similar to a AI Hydra and about half the cost.
Radion and Kessil seem to be the other 2 most commonly used, aside from AI.
Black box type LED like Viparspectra or Marsaqua or SB reef light

It depends on your budget and what features you want.

OP
OP
R

RN_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you'd be happier with a Hydra 32 over a Prime. People do like Primes, and you could add another later if you don't think you're getting the coverage you need.

There are lots of options. A single 150 watt Metal Halide pendant would be really easy, and that might be my choice. Assuming you want LED:

Noopsyche K7 is similar to a AI Hydra and about half the cost.
Radion and Kessil seem to be the other 2 most commonly used, aside from AI.
Black box type LED like Viparspectra or Marsaqua or SB reef light

It depends on your budget and what features you want.
That noopsyche looks nice. I have to do more research on some of the smaller light brands. I guess the larger manufacturers get more publicity so that’s what I have been looking at.

zaga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Nicrew light that I have been happy with. It comes with a tank mount and I just saw that they now have a controller for different functions and settings. Controller and the Nicrew 100w would be perfect for your tank and should cost about $200

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Ai Hydra 26 or 32 will work out nicely with many schedules you can use.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run 2 16hds on my aquatop 20g 18" aio nano cube.
They fixed the issue with the lens awhile ago and you can buy the new lens for like $8. I have some but have not needed them.
I now have 8 16hds on various systems. They are responsible for me putting my halide systems in storage after 30 years.
Just took this pic.
20220523_181359.jpg

Last edited:

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 3 9.7%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 15 48.4%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 11 35.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 3.2%
Back