Help choosing last fish in my system.

BitFix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is a 25 gallon tank with a 10 gallon sump, which is mostly a refugium. I have a clownfish pair, an orchid dottyback and a bicolor blenny. I am looking for another fish to add, but I have a few issues.

Firstly, it needs to eat dry food, I often travel for 2+ weeks and need the fish to eat pellets or flakes while I'm out. I bought a cardinal bangai that before I found out they aren't a big fan of dry foods and it unfortunately starved while I was out.

I would also want it to be a water column swimmer, as the blenny and orchid dottyback already take care of the rocks and substrate portion of the tank, but I would prefer to avoid any fish with a body type similar to a firefish or orchid dottyback, since I don't want any fighting in the tank.

TLDR; Options for peaceful nano fish that stays in the water column and eats dry food.

OP
OP
BitFix

BitFix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sapphire damsel...least aggressive damsel i've ever seen
I was thinking about a damsel fish, I wanted a blue sapphire damsel like you suggested, but can't seem to find them near me. Do you have any experience with the azure damsel? I've heard they're one of the most peaceful ones out there.

Pbh-reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try an azure damsel, Talbots or yellow tail. Azures are supposedly around as peaceful as sapphires.

I think a fang blenny like a fork tail, canary, smiths or lined would also work although I’m not 100% sure that fang blennies will go well with a bicolor so do a little research on that. You would need a semi aggressive fish with that stocking so avoid firefish

OP
OP
BitFix

BitFix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try an azure damsel, Talbots or yellow tail. Azures are supposedly around as peaceful as sapphires.

I think a fang blenny like a fork tail, canary, smiths or lined would also work although I’m not 100% sure that fang blennies will go well with a bicolor so do a little research on that. You would need a semi aggressive fish with that stocking so avoid firefish
I will probably give the azure damsel a try, worst case scenario it goes to the sump. But I was interested in the striped blenny, although the "fangs" part kind of puts me off, my bicolor blenny bites me enough.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 29.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 25 36.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 27.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 5.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back