Help choosing lights Giesemann aurora vs Radion

Which light

• Total voters

JC reef superstar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting ready to setup my tank I’ve had a someone take care of my previous two that I had to sell with my office so now I’m doing it semi solo with the help of a mentor and my coral farming partner. I have everything figured out other than the lights partially because I bought a 125 a 180 and finally decided on a 300 gallon. It’s going to be SPS dominate tank the lights I have are Giesemann aurora 60in , 5 Radion XR 30 pros , and 6 kessil 360 tunas. Looking to get input. I was planning on using the radions but a 3 month old Giesemann with 25 bulbs went up for sale for 1200 so couldn’t pass that up

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you already bought the giesemann haha, I think it would be able to meet all of your needs but you may want to add some supplemental lite, perhaps some reefbrite strips.

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had originally put an XR30 over my SCA 66 tank but ended up with the Aurora. I guess I just like the look of T5 lighting better than straight LEDs. Corals really responded will to the T5s too.

OP
OP
JC reef superstar

JC reef superstar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know Radions and Giesemann will both be awesome which would be better for SPS a dominate tank ?

OP
OP
JC reef superstar

JC reef superstar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had originally put an XR30 over my SCA 66 tank but ended up with the Aurora. I guess I just like the look of T5 lighting better than straight LEDs. Corals really responded will to the T5s too.
Did you notice a difference in color or growth rates between the two lights

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The t5 is better, IMO. You have so many awesome bulb choices and the coverage and output is better. You have the ability to use some 6500K and True Actinic combo to bring out colors in the acropora that the Radion cannot. You chose well, IMO.

Finhead

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Giesemann all the way, T5's IMO are a no brainer for color and growth for SPS.

OP
OP
JC reef superstar

JC reef superstar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the help one last question putting the giessemann on a 96x36x24 300 gallon l. The giessemann is 60 long should I supplement either side of the light with a Radion XR30 pro gen 4 or a 15 pro gen 4 also have 6 kessil 360we

Kmsutows

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean since you can always change it I'd mount the giessemann with kessils all around it wherever it needs it and to add even shimmer

chefmur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am struggling with same decision, looking at the same 2 lights only smaller over a red sea reefer .My one also will be SPS dominated, I have MP40's ordered and a Vectra return so would be nice to add radions for control to EcoTech Live. However the balance of both T5 and LED gives me the best of both worlds and I have open top and the Aurora looks slick. How about programing on Aurora, I had Radions on my last tank and loved the simplicity of programming ?

chefmur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am struggling with same decision , same two two lights only smaller over Red Sea Reefer , my return and powerheads are Eco Tech so would be nice to everything on Eco Tech Live. I had Radions before and was very happy however I love the idea of T5-LED combo for coral color. How about the Aurora programming , the Radions are super easy ??

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am struggling with same decision, looking at the same 2 lights only smaller over a red sea reefer .My one also will be SPS dominated, I have MP40's ordered and a Vectra return so would be nice to add radions for control to EcoTech Live. However the balance of both T5 and LED gives me the best of both worlds and I have open top and the Aurora looks slick. How about programing on Aurora, I had Radions on my last tank and loved the simplicity of programming ?
programming is pretty easy. You download the Futura program from their website and it connects via bluetooth. Luckily my desktop has bluetooth built in so I can use that.

chefmur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
programming is pretty easy. You download the Futura program from their website and it connects via bluetooth. Luckily my desktop has bluetooth built in so I can use that.
So overall you are happy with your choice ? would you choose this again if you had the chance overall all LED units such as the Radion

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got the 24" on a tank and am happy with it. Since the T5s are dimmable you have to burn the new bulbs in for 100 hours which I found to be a pain the first time I replaced them. On my new 5ft tank I went with the 4ft Aquatic Life Hybrid with 3 XR15s. This fixture isn't dimmable so nothing to hassle with there. I was looking on BRS and you could do two of the T5 fixtures and 4 XR15s for less that the cost of the 60" Aurora. With the Aquatic Life I like how slim it is. Here's a pic, only two XR15s on it in the pic. I added the diffusers to them, that's what you see sticking down below the light. Without the diffuser they're flush with the bottom.
Lights.jpg

chefmur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got the 24" on a tank and am happy with it. Since the T5s are dimmable you have to burn the new bulbs in for 100 hours which I found to be a pain the first time I replaced them. On my new 5ft tank I went with the 4ft Aquatic Life Hybrid with 3 XR15s. This fixture isn't dimmable so nothing to hassle with there. I was looking on BRS and you could do two of the T5 fixtures and 4 XR15s for less that the cost of the 60" Aurora. With the Aquatic Life I like how slim it is. Here's a pic, only two XR15s on it in the pic. I added the diffusers to them, that's what you see sticking down below the light. Without the diffuser they're flush with the bottom.
Lights.jpg
I did think about this option also, I cannot hang from ceiling as we have super high ceilings and I don't think it would look good. Did you make that bracket or buy it ? I am pretty useless at DIY so would need to find something premade

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did think about this option also, I cannot hang from ceiling as we have super high ceilings and I don't think it would look good. Did you make that bracket or buy it ? I am pretty useless at DIY so would need to find something premade
I ordered the bracket from 8020.net. On this tank it's attached to the stand. I've got the same brackets on another tank which I built a rack out of 2x4s that the vertical brackets sit in and just slide behind the stand.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 6 foot light over a 8 foot tank. There is too much darkness on the ends. I bought a 150W Halide for each end to fill in the gaps. I think that you will want those gaps filled too.

If I were you, I would sell all that you have and get a pair of 4' Gisemann fixtures... just for uniformity for the room and the corals.

roberthu526

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went with 8 G4 XR30 Pros on my 8 ft tank and I hang the lights relative high at 16" above the water. Overall the spread is pretty good.

Do you have any updates on the tank?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back