Help...clam emergency.

CLW8

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whats is wrong with it..looked fine this morning.
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0
Phosphate .1
Ammonia 0
Ph 8.2
Calcium 430
Dkh 8
Salinity 1.025
Temp 79 - 80
20180907_172600.jpg

hotashes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks gaping, not a good look. Usually a goner my friend. @DSC reef @jda - thoughts?

Do us a favour, whilst keeping clam submerged, pick it up look underneath at base and see if there are tiny white snails. They are tiny.

Take a picture if possible.

Chin up.

A.

Last edited:

GoPitt88

Pitt Basketball is BACK!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I agree with hotashes. The first two Maximas I tried died within the first few days I had them, and they looked like yours at the end. I’m guessing the stress from shipment (got them from Diver’s Den), and just weren’t healthy when I put them in my tank. I recently got a Squamosa from Diver’s Den, and he’s doing good so far. One thing I did differently is instead of drip acclimating him for an hour, I just floated the bag for 45 minutes, then put him right in. When a fish or clam are shipped overnight, ammonia will spike as soon as you open the bag. To avoid ammonia problems, I put him right in the tank after acclimating for temperature only.

OP
OP
CLW8

CLW8

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RIP Patrick the clam. I have had him for almost 1 month. My tank is 1 years old.......I got it from a LFS i checked for snails and there was a few. When i got him, there was not a single one on him now its like 3 of 4 . Do i need to clean all of the sand so those tiny snails will no longer be in my tank ?

hotashes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you check for snails after you purchased it, or first time just now?

What else was added to the tank dice you purchased the clam?

A.

OP
OP
CLW8

CLW8

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you check for snails after you purchased it, or first time just now?

What else was added to the tank dice you purchased the clam?

A.
I checked is when i purchased it. Looked very healthy. Found the snails just now when i was check inside the shell, the snails were hard to see in the blue light. I have added a tail spotted bleny since i got the clam.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That clam looks like it is a goner. Sorry.

There is nothing that you can do, either way, so just wait a day or two and see. If it gets worse, then get it out before it degrades and contributes to the N cycle.

hotashes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That clam looks like it is a goner. Sorry.

There is nothing that you can do, either way, so just wait a day or two and see. If it gets worse, then get it out before it degrades and contributes to the N cycle.

Do you agree the source of snails must have already been present in the tank?

How does the OP now get rid of them?

A.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They probably came in on the clam, if they are truly Pyram snail. Are you 100% sure? They can come in on other snails, as well, but this is less common IME. They will also massacre snails, so check the astreas, turbos, conchs, etc. to see if they are infested. I would make certain before anybody freaks out too much.

hotashes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I checked is when i purchased it. Looked very healthy. Found the snails just now when i was check inside the shell, the snails were hard to see in the blue light. I have added a tail spotted bleny since i got the clam.

Did you get any images of the snails?

A.

Back