HELP - Corals are dying for no apparent reason - after 30+ years in the hobby I am thinking of ending it.

Alex V.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All my LPS and SPS and softies are dying some in less than a day and I can't find the reason.
I have checked all water parameters - have done water changes of 150% withing 3 days nothing seems to make any change. I have had Saltwater aquariums since 1990 and corals for more than 25 years and I can not find an answer. I sent water for analysis everything came up normal. I have an algae reactor, protein skimmer, calcium reactor, carbon reactor. Salt has laway been Tropic Marin Pro Reef.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe upload some images so some of the resident coral experts can have a look. I know there were some issues with the Tropic Marin salt manufactured in Turkey - some have reported coral die-offs, but I don't know offhand if this is a direct or underlying cause. Have you added any new corals recently?

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perhaps you have a bacteria in the tank working its way through your corals. When I suspect bacteria infection I dose ciprofloaxin into the tank. I have used chemiclean once to stop a BJD infection also in the tank.

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All my LPS and SPS and softies are dying some in less than a day and I can't find the reason.
I have checked all water parameters - have done water changes of 150% withing 3 days nothing seems to make any change. I have had Saltwater aquariums since 1990 and corals for more than 25 years and I can not find an answer. I sent water for analysis everything came up normal. I have an algae reactor, protein skimmer, calcium reactor, carbon reactor. Salt has laway been Tropic Marin Pro Reef.
Could you post all your parameters and icp

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pics and parameters are the best way for anyone to help

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As mentioned, need as much specific information about the tank and it’s history to be able to help.

OP
OP
A

Alex V.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  • No Corals or Fish added in the past 6 months or so.
  • Same thing has happened in the past like 5 months ago
  • the first time started with my bounce mushrooms
  • Fish seems to be ok
  • Today a colony of candy cane went from ok to almost dead within 6 hours or so.
  • Torches also dying.
  • Yumas, and colony of Palys seems to be ok
  • All my SPS colonies are dead
  • all 3 Rose BTA seems to be ok
  • Move affected corals to a separate 10 gallon tank (water from the same salt and sueviving corals came back) Therefore salt might not be the culprit.
  • Aquarium water is 100% new due to several water changes of 50 gallons each. My RO water ha new filter elements and membrane. (same episode happened before changing RO water filters.
  • Running carbon ROX 0.8 in a reactor 24/7

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alk 9.3, CA 420, Mg 1350, Nitrates 1 PPM, Phosphates 0.
Phosphates at zero leads to coral starvation that may be one clue why coral being affected, any brown algae in the tank?

ninjamyst

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Too much change too fast. 150% water change will only make things worse. Your nutrients are also very low. Any temperature spikes?

Thor2j

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phosphates at zero leads to coral starvation that may be one clue why coral being affected, any brown algae in the tank?
It would be slow , not fast like this. Also people used to run 0 nitrates 0 phosphates and corals lived pretty well, especially acros.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Toxins are a possibility as especially in a mixed reef , Lps and sps release toxins and leathers release terpenes.
Mentioned was stray voltage which is a possibility as it is resistant to fish at low level.
Other toxins would be dead chaeto or atmospheric such as pesticides.
Another noticeable is Low nutrients if your test results are accurate.
May be opportune time to send in an ICP test

OP
OP
A

Alex V.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Temperature at 78-79 always, no brown algae in the tank, the water changes save me 6 months ago when I had the same situation, but no as drastic as yesterday and today. I do not change anything in months not additions or changes in any equipment. Alk and Calcium are always the same I have had calcium reactors for the past 20 years and I have never had any spikes on Alk or Calcium. Phosphates are 0 but after 150% water change in 3 days is kind of expected. I have had corals dying like everybody else, but a tank imploding like what I am experiencing now is new to me.

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is a good possibility from the info given so far.

OP have you changed your export of nutrients....such as added the scrubber?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 39.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 52 34.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.9%
Back