Help... cross member cracking

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not sure how long this has been there as It is kinda right in front but not some where I look very often. Anyone got any ideas what I should do???

72G BF tank

crack.jpg

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Am I seeing two cracks.....up on top of the frame piece and also in the crotch where the horizontal piece meets the vertical portion?

No guarantee, but here's what I'd do....and it's not going to look pretty. I'd get some plastic screen and epoxy.....like JB Weld or JB Kwik. The difference between these two epoxies is the Kwik sets up in 5 - 10 minutes. Cut the screen to cover the top break, fold down the inside vertical and now go out onto the horizontal portion. Mix the epoxy, cover the frame portion, pressing in the screen into the epoxy, and now cover the top of the screen with more epoxy.

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be honest I would consider getting a new tank if possible, you can probably repair them but I would not feel right about it. The cracks are coming from the tank being under stress levels that have begun to surpass its integrity and it makes me wonder if other areas of the tank will also begin to fail soon. Have you checked the rest of the tank for signs of cracks or bulges?

OP
OP
Fudsey

Fudsey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No other cracks that I can find. And yes there are 2 areas of cracking, one on the top and 2, not connected yet, on the support.

OP
OP
Fudsey

Fudsey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have temporarily put a pipe clamp across the tank at the center support to keep it from failing

p7willm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry. :( This should not happen and I would worry about the tank. If it breaks it will probably kill the fish, coral, and stuff. Also you will get a bunch of water on the floor. If possible I would lower the water level to reduce stress while I replaced the tank. On the bright side this might be a reason to get a bigger tank. How much worse would 150 gallons on the floor be than 75?;)

OP
OP
Fudsey

Fudsey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I am upgrading but only to a 90G. It's all the room I have for a tank so that will have to do. I am really not worried about the tank failing with the pipe clamp on it for now. I will be picking up the tank tomorrow and will have to work quick to get it changed over. Only problem is the 90 does not have a overflow so I will have to use a HOB one for now unless I can find a place to drill it and get a internal one asap...

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New tank. +1 lifereef overflow.

OP
OP
Fudsey

Fudsey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a 90G today and will be setting it up in the next few weeks with what I have in the 72. I hope I shouldn't need a full cycle as everything will just be moved over including the water,live rock and sand. Was thinking about using new live sand but I am unsure if it will increase the cycle time, any comments on this?

Live stock is going into a 40B for the time being as soon as I can get it running.

I had an overflow in the past that may have been a Litereef, looks identical. But I still had an issue one time where the siphon was lost during a power outage and I was not home. The wife was and I couldn't tell her how to get it working with an airhose (she didn't understand me I guess). This is my only reservation with an external overflow.

OP
OP
Fudsey

Fudsey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok tank is empty, fish and lr plus about half my sand moved to a rescue tank. Hopefully everyone survives....

Here's a pic of temporary housing
685a8ceebbf238c231832e10d6bd48a0.jpg

OP
OP
Fudsey

Fudsey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Updated pic with white's on and everybody swimming around.
tank28.jpg
tank29.jpg

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a Life Reef overflow box 600 gph and an extra u-tube. Make sure you push a lot of water through it.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your siphon broke in the past, odds are it wasn't a lifereef. By far the highest rated overflow you will find out there. I ended up drilling my tank but the lifereef overflow was my original plan.

OP
OP
Fudsey

Fudsey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Decided to go with the glass holes 1500. I just feel better about having it drilled

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 20 34.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 12.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 19 32.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 11 19.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.7%
Back