Sushiboy225

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I’ve recently taken a liking to the saddle Valentini puffer.

My question is if it would be happy at home in my tank.

My tank is a 32 gallon biocube with mixed corals from sps to softies and a GBTA. Only nails are Tonga nassarius snails and trochus snails. I also have a cleaner shrimp.

Now I have been looking at the saddle puffer but I have also read that the mimic saddle puffer may be a better choice for the tank size.

My other question is if a leopard Toby puffer may be a better option overall.

I would love to have a Valentini because they look so amazing and have such a personality.

Am excited to hear peoples opinions.

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They would probably be fine with the corals but it’s very likely it will at least eat the snails. Some fish are fine with shrimp as long as they’re in the tank before said fish but i don’t know if that’s true with the puffer and I probably wouldn’t gamble

OP
OP
S

Sushiboy225

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @MONTANTK and @blaxsun for the input!

Are there any fish you’d suggest that’s very tropical looking and has a big personality that’s not a clown fish and will be comfortable in a 32 gallon biocube?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Are there any fish you’d suggest that’s very tropical looking and has a big personality that’s not a clown fish and will be comfortable in a 32 gallon biocube?
Indonesian lubbocks fairy wrasse.
Filled with colour and doesn’t stop, remains at 3”, I haven’t seen any lubbock bigger than 2.5” even my bigger male of the two has stayed at 2-2.5”. Other unusual fish are:
- Blennies, get the right one and it’s filled with personality and they come in a range of colours. (The only blennies you can keep in multiples are barnacle blennies)
Here’s my two male Lubbock’s when they first went in:
22AC6B96-8393-4626-A639-C07FEEB092BD.jpeg

I would get a photo to date but they don’t stop moving and I can’t find my indo since he hides in the rocks in the early morning, I’ll try after I get back tonight and hopefully get an image of him flashing!

Last edited:

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A small coral beauty dwarf angelfish would be good for a while, or one of the smaller wrasses like a blue flasher. The midas blenny and flame hawkfish are two other favorites.
I don’t recommend any flashers in a tank less than 3’, they really rely on the room to swim around and stretch their fins. I agree with the rest of the options though! Especially on smaller fairy wrasses, the cryptic pinstripes are a favourite of mine for nanos and possum wrasses too!

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t recommend any flashers in a tank less than 3’, they really rely on the room to swim around and stretch their fins. I agree with the rest of the options though! Especially on smaller fairy wrasses, the cryptic pinstripes are a favourite of mine for nanos and possum wrasses too!
I had my flasher by himself in a 12-gallon atoll, and he seemed to throughly enjoy himself. I moved him into a 25-gallon lagoon with other fish and he was less than thrilled, so I ended up moving him back to the 12-gallon. Fish are funny sometimes...

OP
OP
S

Sushiboy225

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Indonesian lubbocks fairy wrasse.
Filled with colour and doesn’t stop, remains at 3”, I haven’t seen any lubbock bigger than 2.5” even my bigger male of the two has stayed at 2-2.5”. Other unusual fish are:
- Blennies, get the right one and it’s filled with personality and they come in a range of colours. (The only blennies you can keep in multiples are barnacle blennies)
Here’s my two male Lubbock’s when they first went in:
22AC6B96-8393-4626-A639-C07FEEB092BD.jpeg

I would get a photo to date but they don’t stop moving and I can’t find my indo since he hides in the rocks in the early morning, I’ll try after I get back tonight and hopefully get an image of him flashing!
Thanks that would be awesome! And thanks for the info will be researching now lol

OP
OP
S

Sushiboy225

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about the coral beauty dwarf angel or flame angel?

OP
OP
S

Sushiboy225

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow the fairy wrasse is beautiful and stunning! That’s what I’m talking about! Would he get along with my 6 line wrasse?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow the fairy wrasse is beautiful and stunning! That’s what I’m talking about! Would he get along with my 6 line wrasse?
Maybe but the six line may be aggressive to the lubbock

afrokobe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe instead of a six line you could do a possum or pink streaked wrasse. I know six lines have a reputation and I have been looking at those to myself as well...

jaganshi066

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Pygmy angel, maybe a flameback. My golden assessor is always out and about but I heard they can hide a lot

OP
OP
S

Sushiboy225

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They also say dwarf angels shouldn’t be kept together and that tangs are reef safe but I’ve seen tangs that eat coral. I have three dwarf angels that get along well
Would a square aquarium be enough room for them to swim?

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 2.0%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 28 14.1%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 95 48.0%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 63 31.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.5%
Back