Help, Display and Sump Problem

ogar_mar775

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone. I need some help/advice. The last few months, everytime my ato adds water to the return chamber of my sump, the water level in my display tank rises. I have a jebao dcp-4000. I have had the pump for more than a year and this had never happened. So two weeks ago I upgraded the pump to a jebao dcp-8000 and everything was good for a few days. Now the same thing is happening again. If I add water to the sump, the display levels rise. And if I take water out of the sump, the water level in the display tank go down. I have to manually adjust my valve on my drain line to get it back to its originally condition. It’s driving me crazy because if I leave it as is, my ato will keep adding water to my sump and not only changes the salinity but the water in my display tank rise until it reaches the emergency drain line. If anyone has some input or advice I would greatly appreciate it. I included a pic of my sump for reference.

153243B3-36E8-48CA-B7B0-91BF7A9FD262.jpeg

DJF

know less, learn more
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It may mean you’re return pump is pushing water into the display faster than it is exiting. Either increase how fast the water exits from the main (if possible) or decrease how fast water gets into the display by lowering the speed of the return pump or putting a valve on it.

OP
OP
ogar_mar775

ogar_mar775

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the posters above. Something is up with your drain.
It may mean you’re return pump is pushing water into the display faster than it is exiting. Either increase how fast the water exits from the main (if possible) or decrease how fast water gets into the display by lowering the speed of the return pump or putting a valve on it.
Okay thank u. I’ll give it a try

OP
OP
ogar_mar775

ogar_mar775

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay thank you. I’ll give it a try

OP
OP
ogar_mar775

ogar_mar775

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is your drain plumbed?:
1636953204538.png

What is all this plumbing? can you draw a diagram?
The ones in the back are the main drain from my display tank and my emergency. The bottom two positioned funny are from my 10 gallon frag system( main and emergency). I was having this issue before I plumbed the 10 gallon so I know it’s not the plumbing for that. The only thing that happens with the way my plumbing is set up for my frag system is that it takes a few minutes for it to adjust but that’s it. My main drain drops down and makes two 90 degree turns and then drains to my sump

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is size of the display? How many GPH does the return pump pump out? Can you send photos of the overflow? What size in the drain plumbing and return plumbing? Do you have gate valve on the drain to control flow into the sump (looks like yes?)?

DCR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds like you are trying to run with only the full siphon controlling the drain to the sump. If you only have two drains (Herbie), one should be your full siphon and the second should be an overflow that is always taking a small trickle flow. You do not have an emergency. Trying to control the flow and level with only a full siphon is next to impossible because you can never exactly match the return and drain flows. The trickle overflow will take care of minor imbalances between the two.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 24.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 50 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 29.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.7%
Back