Help! Disturbing Anemone Behavior

NanoReefer2025

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,
So, I purchased a bubble tip anemone the weekend before last, which went very well. Acclimation went smooth and the anemone has looked healthy, as far as I know. However, this evening, I was deeply disturbed when I saw the BTA floating around in the tank like a jellyfish or something. I had to put on a glove and hold it to a rock until it latched on. I heard that this sometimes happens when the anemone is unhappy about something. I must confess that I have been shading some parts of the tank from the light, as an attempt to guide the BTA towards a place on the rocks that would be more desirable than in the very back corner of the tank. Could this be the issue? Or perhaps some other factors are contributing? I really don’t want to end up with an anemone getting sucked up by my power head and killing everything. FYI, I know that I should cover the power head at some point, and I should be able to get that taken care of this week.

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Being that this tank was just cycled at the end of January it will be difficult to Keep in this new tank. Typically 1 year is a good guideline for getting an anemone. I would Stop messing with it and let the anemone settle in where it wants. Hopefully it will be ok. Do you have adequate lighting?

OP
OP
NanoReefer2025

NanoReefer2025

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Being that this tank was just cycled at the end of January it will be difficult to Keep in this new tank. Typically 1 year is a good guideline for getting an anemone. I would Stop messing with it and let the anemone settle in where it wants. Hopefully it will be ok. Do you have adequate lighting?
Hmm, I hope I didn’t make a mistake getting the anemone. I have been testing my parameters and they have been pretty stable. I have adequate lighting (AI Prime HD 16).

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
If its floating around the tank, there may be too much water flow. Stress or unfavorable light and flow are reasons why they move around and dislodge

OP
OP
NanoReefer2025

NanoReefer2025

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If its floating around the tank, there may be too much water flow. Stress or unfavorable light and flow are reasons why they move around and dislodge
Yeah, as I had previously said, I had shaded part of the tank to discourage the anemone from settling in an undesirable spot, so that may be the problem. I don’t think water flow is an issue. My Hydor Koralia doesn’t pump a whole lot of water, but it’s enough to keep the water oxygenated.

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks like you have good light and flow just try to keep everything stable as possible and let it settle where it wants because even if you get it where you want it, it is likely to move.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 23.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 32.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back