Help dosing neophos

Reefhaven

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question in dosing neophos. My tank was reading 0 for nitrate and 0 for phosphate so I started dosing neonitro and neophos. I aimed for 5ppm for nitrate and .03 for phosphate. I tested it 24 hours later and my reading for nitrate was 3.8 (Hanna HR) and 0 phosphate. Should I keep dosing neophos since I was able to register nitrate or is my tank carbon limited? I brought brightwell reef biofuel and can start dosing that as well. Thanks for the help!

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to dose both last month. I was double dosing both for about 10 days before I started seeing some numbers positive. Ensure that you have no chemical media inhibiting your dosing.

OP
OP
R

Reefhaven

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to dose both last month. I was double dosing both for about 10 days before I started seeing some numbers positive. Ensure that you have no chemical media inhibiting your dosing.
But the thing is I dosed yesterday and in 24 hours I was able to get my nitrate to 3.8ppm but my phosphate remained at 0. So I’m guessing that my tank is not carbon limited so I redosed the neophos again to try to achieve .03ppm reading. Should I have dosed biofuel?

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But the thing is I dosed yesterday and in 24 hours I was able to get my nitrate to 3.8ppm but my phosphate remained at 0. So I’m guessing that my tank is not carbon limited so I redosed the neophos again to try to achieve .03ppm reading. Should I have dosed biofuel?
I'm just sharing my experience dosing both. It took like 10 days before I started seeing positive numbers. Your nitrates are still low so keep dosing that and try double dosing phosphate to bring it up. My numbers tonight are 8.7 nitrates and .17 phosphate and my tank is thriving but bad things happened when my numbers were 0.

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I agree, I had to dose for some time to see a reading. What you can do is dose and take a reading after 30 minutes. My guess is you will see a reading but it’s being consumed within a day. You will need to keep dosing until the readings stay at your target.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back