Help!! Duncan coral dying

emsilkina

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of my parameters are okay and all my corals seem to be doing ok.
Recently my Duncan closed up and brown stuff came out of it. It also is starting to show some skeleton.
The tank is relatively new (2 months).
I don't have professional lighting. I use blue led lights. Can that be a cause?
Should I do an iodine dip?

austibella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of my parameters are okay and all my corals seem to be doing ok.
Recently my Duncan closed up and brown stuff came out of it. It also is starting to show some skeleton.
The tank is relatively new (2 months).
I don't have professional lighting. I use blue led lights. Can that be a cause?
Should I do an iodine dip?
Have you feed him with a turkey baster. I hand feed my corals to make sure they get enough food

OP
OP
E

emsilkina

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not hand-fed him yet. I tried to give him shrimp by lifting him up to just below the surface but he didn't eat it. do you think he might be dying cuz he's starving??

OP
OP
E

emsilkina

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like the green skin is being pulled off

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-02-18 at 4.54.18 PM.png
    Screenshot 2021-02-18 at 4.54.18 PM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 111

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh yuck ya they definetely do not look good. I have only seen them open the mouth that big when i dipped a frag. Based on that i would say the duncan is extremely stressed from something. Personally i do not think starving would have that impact. Kind of hard to tell in the pic what the brown stuff is.

Make sure they are not in too high of flow. That can cause them to retract and rip tissue off if very high flow

redeyejedi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Light issues. Also the water looks cloudy. Might just be the pic though.

OP
OP
E

emsilkina

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh yuck ya they definetely do not look good. I have only seen them open the mouth that big when i dipped a frag. Based on that i would say the duncan is extremely stressed from something. Personally i do not think starving would have that impact. Kind of hard to tell in the pic what the brown stuff is.

Make sure they are not in too high of flow. That can cause them to retract and rip tissue off if very high flow
The place where it is in right now doesn't have too much waterflow.
Do you think that I should dip it in iodine? also, I was thinking about taking them to the lfs and see what they say. Or should I leave it alone?

redeyejedi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah the water is really cloudy. So do you think I should get better light?
Well if you have cloudy water and cheap lights then the coral is 100% light starved. Which means you prob have a bacterial bloom.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think pulling it out of the water and moving it to the lfs or lifting it up to the surface to feed is good .
Why not place it and bring food to it ?
Something as simple as testing will answer a lot of the questions .

describe your system ?
Tank size , filtration , rocks , roughly how many ?
Lighting ( if there is a brand or model )
Light wattage ?

skimmer ?
And parameters ?
specifically ammonia , alk , cal , temp and salinity

what are you testing with ?

austibella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not hand-fed him yet. I tried to give him shrimp by lifting him up to just below the surface but he didn't eat it. do you think he might be dying cuz he's starving??
Don't lift him up leave him alone mix some reef chilli or reef roads. mysis shrimp in a little r/o water or your aquarium water in a cup and use a turkey baster and squeeze som on top of him and your other corals with the pumps low or off so they can eat.. you also need good lighting . Hope this helps.there are many coral foods. Check out BRS videos on UTUBE for coral feeding

austibella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't lift him up leave him alone mix some reef chilli or reef roads. mysis shrimp in a little r/o water or your aquarium water in a cup and use a turkey baster and squeeze som on top of him and your other corals with the pumps low or off so they can eat.. you also need good lighting . Hope this helps.there are many coral foods. Check out BRS videos on UTUBE for coral feeding
Should say reef roids. Typo error

austibella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The place where it is in right now doesn't have too much waterflow.
Do you think that I should dip it in iodine? also, I was thinking about taking them to the lfs and see what they say. Or should I leave it alone?
Don't stress it out more give it some food if you don't have a turkey baster put some food near him so it flows his way. Keep in mind how small his mouth is dont feed big pieces .then Google the coral on line to find out what he needs to eat and proper care .and tomorrow you can get the right products

OP
OP
E

emsilkina

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't stress it out more give it some food if you don't have a turkey baster put some food near him so it flows his way. Keep in mind how small his mouth is dont feed big pieces .then Google the coral on line to find out what he needs to eat and proper care .and tomorrow you can get the right products
Thank you for your help!!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 23.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back