Help fast

Michael marturiello

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I recently got a 200 gallon tank and stocked it with a pair of clowns a fox face rabbit fish a lone mower blennie and a sail fin tang. The first day I put the sail fin in the tank I realized some white spots but after a few days they went away full so I thought it was fine. Fast forward a week and he died of marine velvet and now my fox face and clown have marine velvet so I’m going to try to put the fox face and clownfish in a qt tank and run copper threw it but what should I use?, what should I do with my shrimp, crabs and snails and what should I feed the sick fish while treating please someone help

TheSheff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I recently got a 200 gallon tank and stocked it with a pair of clowns a fox face rabbit fish a lone mower blennie and a sail fin tang. The first day I put the sail fin in the tank I realized some white spots but after a few days they went away full so I thought it was fine. Fast forward a week and he died of marine velvet and now my fox face and clown have marine velvet so I’m going to try to put the fox face and clownfish in a qt tank and run copper threw it but what should I use?, what should I do with my shrimp, crabs and snails and what should I feed the sick fish while treating please someone help
Most people seem to use copper power for copper treatments. You can probably throw in some extra food to the tank to feed the inverts while the fish are in treatments. You can pretty much feed the fish anything while they're in QT.

Gill the 3rd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I had velvet many years ago I used copper power in a separate qt tank at 2.0-2.5 ppm (use a hanna checker) for 30 days. I left the display tank fallow for at least 76 days, although I think you can go less since velvet has a faster lifecycle.

I fed the fish lightly at first since they had a suppressed appetite and I didn't want to spike the ammonia in my qt tank. After a while I fed normally.

You can leave the shrimp, snails and crabs in your display tank during the fallow period.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
but what should I use?, what should I do with my shrimp, crabs and snails and what should I feed the sick fish while treating please someone help
Copper Power or Coppersafe are the usual copper meds these days, so probably one of those.

Leave the inverts (shrimp, crabs, snails, etc.) in the display tank (not the QT), and it's a good idea to offer them a little food too.

Feed the fish whatever food they'll eat (preferably some high quality food though).

Run the display tank fallow (i.e. keep it fish-free) for a minimum of 45 days at 81F (60+ days at 81F is currently recommended, with many people encouraging 76 days).

Edit: Oh, and welcome to Reef2Reef!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Welcome to Reef2Reef!

If you saw actual white spots, the fish have ich, not velvet. The treatment is the same though - copper in a quarantine tank for 30 days, then leave the fish out of your display tank for 60 days.

Are you in Great Britain? If so, you may have difficulty getting the proper copper product. I use Coppersafe or Copper Power at 2.25 ppm, measured with a good test kit. If you can't find those, you could try Cupramine, dosed at 0.50 ppm.

Be sure to monitor the ammonia levels in your quarantine tank.

Jay

OP
OP
M

Michael marturiello

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

If you saw actual white spots, the fish have ich, not velvet. The treatment is the same though - copper in a quarantine tank for 30 days, then leave the fish out of your display tank for 60 days.

Are you in Great Britain? If so, you may have difficulty getting the proper copper product. I use Coppersafe or Copper Power at 2.25 ppm, measured with a good test kit. If you can't find those, you could try Cupramine, dosed at 0.50 ppm.

Be sure to monitor the ammonia levels in your quarantine tank.

Jay
No I’m in the u.s, the fish is swimming fine he’s eating fine and he’s not really lethargic but he has like black ish red dots on him and hes way whiter than usual (fox face rabbit fish)

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure to add a bottle of bio-spira or similar to the QT!

OP
OP
M

Michael marturiello

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copper Power or Coppersafe are the usual copper meds these days, so probably one of those.

Leave the inverts (shrimp, crabs, snails, etc.) in the display tank (not the QT), and it's a good idea to offer them a little food too.

Feed the fish whatever food they'll eat (preferably some high quality food though).

Run the display tank fallow (i.e. keep it fish-free) for a minimum of 45 days at 81F (60+ days at 81F is currently recommended, with many people encouraging 76 days).

Edit: Oh, and welcome to Reef2Reef!
Would you recommend any dips? If so what dips?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I’m in the u.s, the fish is swimming fine he’s eating fine and he’s not really lethargic but he has like black ish red dots on him and hes way whiter than usual (fox face rabbit fish)

If you can post a clear picture and video under white light, I can likely tell you more.

Jay

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 53 33.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back