Help fattening livestock

Sfplaya1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went to a lfs a few months ago asking what I could possibly do to fatten up my current live stock. I was informed to purchase lrs brine shrimp. I was kinda sketchy about just brine shrimp but I said what the heck, most that could go wrong is that it doesn't really fatten them up but its still food. I'm about to run out of food and I haven't noticed a single difference. I currently have 2 wyoming whites, 1 starry blenny, 2 lighting maroons and a powder blue tang. If anyone has any advice on how to fatten everyone up i'd appreciate it.

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LRS sells brine shrimp only? Or you are feeding one of the LRS mixed frozen foods? What type of fish/livestock? LRS is an excellent food to fatten up fish, but depending on type of fish there are multiple options.

OP
OP
S

Sfplaya1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LRS sells brine shrimp only? Or you are feeding one of the LRS mixed frozen foods? What type of fish/livestock? LRS is an excellent food to fatten up fish, but depending on type of fish there are multiple options.
Sorry it wasn't LRS. it was hikari. I currently have 2 wyoming whites, 1 starry blenny, 2 lighting maroons and a powder blue tang

S-t-r-e-t-c-h

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The powder blue and blenny would benefit from feeding dry nori several times a week. The additional vegetation will help them hold weight.

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All good! I just wanted to make sure, as LRS reef frenzy/fish frenzy is what I would recommend as I'm sure more people will also recommend. You can check his (LRS) website to find a local distributor. I feed LRS and seaweed only (basically) and my fish are fat and happy. Keeping ideal tank parameters and getting them on a good frozen diet will let you know that the fish are healthy, or if there is other issues possibly.

I would recommend LRS reef frenzy, along with a seaweed (nori) for the tang.

OP
OP
S

Sfplaya1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All good! I just wanted to make sure, as LRS reef frenzy/fish frenzy is what I would recommend as I'm sure more people will also recommend. You can check his (LRS) website to find a local distributor. I feed LRS and seaweed only (basically) and my fish are fat and happy. Keeping ideal tank parameters and getting them on a good frozen diet will let you know that the fish are healthy, or if there is other issues possibly.

I would recommend LRS reef frenzy, along with a seaweed (nori) for the tang.
A local reefer told me I should try vitamins but he has never tangled with it so he doesn't have a recommendation.

Kmsutows

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I agree with the suggestions, one of the most important questions I have is how often are you feeding them and how much?? Also, brine shrimp don't have much nutritional value so shame on your lfs... as it's been said, they're like potatoes chips, not much substance.

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A local reefer told me I should try vitamins but he has never tangled with it so he doesn't have a recommendation.

You can add selcon to any of these foods for a good little bonus of vitamins! Selcon is basically the go to for this.

OP
OP
S

Sfplaya1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I agree with the suggestions, one of the most important questions I have is how often are you feeding them and how much?? Also, brine shrimp don't have much nutritional value so shame on your lfs... as it's been said, they're like potatoes chips, not much substance.
I feed 2-3 times a day depends on whether I forget a feeding the day before. Usually I feed them 2 times and sometimes my girlfriend will drop a little amount to see their reaction and will feed again if they act hungry. I usually break a piece off and break it into several smaller pieces. I'll add them several times at a time to make sure i'm not over feeding.

OP
OP
S

Sfplaya1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone know where I could purchase LRS reef frenzy and Selcon online?

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone know where I could purchase LRS reef frenzy and Selcon online?

Premium Aquatics. LRS only ships to store front distributors to ensure super fresh and always frozen product. If there's no store close to you Premium Aquatics will ship it, but there is a cost involved. I think it's around $25 shipping fee. They do an excellent job at packaging and are a great store though. Best if you can find it locally, but if not...

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh and a little heads up, I think they ship frozen foods only at the beginning of the week when they have fresh dry ice. You can reach out to them first or just know it may be a few days.

K. Steven

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buy it at a store and support an LFS (just not the one that told you to feed brine shrimp only). That's the reason he only sells to store fronts, so we don't lose fish stores to online retailers.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Sfplaya1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buy it at a store and support an LFS (just not the one that told you to feed brine shrimp only). That's the reason he only sells to store fronts, so we don't loose fish stores to online retailers.
Currently have no means of transportation.

trido

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feed your tank 6-8 times a day..... I feed a combination of nori, NLS pellets, rods, LRS or my home made food daily. Literally 6-8 times a day. Pellet feeder 5 times alone. In a nut shell, feed as much as you can get away with.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 39.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 52 34.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.9%
Back