Help Frozen Training Wild Ponies!!

  • Thread starter Thread starter 1Meshy
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

1Meshy

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 13, 2018
Messages
448
Reaction score
236
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

I was wondering if you could give me advice on training seahorses to eat frozen mysis.

I got a pair of wild seahorses two days ago and I've been feeding them enriched ghost shrimp as of now. I've tried feeding them PE mysis with garlic at the same time I give them the shrimp so they associate the mysis as food, but they're still not eating the frozen.

I hadn't realized that the seahorses were wild caught instead of captive bred, so that was my mistake, but I want to try training them if I can!!


Your advice is much appreciated!!
 
It’ll take awhile, if they ever learn. I had better luck with supplementing live enriched brine shrimp along with frozen shrimp slowly changing the ratio of live to frozen. I forgot the name of what I enriched with but it was pink and in dropper form. I had wild H. Erectus breed in my tank but only with live food. Mysids can live in a large tank with enough hiding places (still need to feed other food but diversity in foods is good.
 
It’ll take awhile, if they ever learn. I had better luck with supplementing live enriched brine shrimp along with frozen shrimp slowly changing the ratio of live to frozen. I forgot the name of what I enriched with but it was pink and in dropper form. I had wild H. Erectus breed in my tank but only with live food. Mysids can live in a large tank with enough hiding places (still need to feed other food but diversity in foods is good.
What are the odds of them learning to eat frozen? I got them from kp aquatics and I know they try to train them to eat frozen before selling them.. I'm just very worried that they'll never learn to eat frozen and I'll have to continue buying them live food all the time 😥. Buying live is expensive!
 
Anyone else with advice?
 

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 4 33.3%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 4 33.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 3 25.0%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 2 16.7%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 3 25.0%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 3 25.0%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 4 33.3%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 5 41.7%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 4 33.3%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 2 16.7%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 25.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new