Help give me an idea how to frag this awkward bounce mushroom

Jake_the_reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a bounce mushroom that split naturally into 2 heads and I want to separate them and grow them out. However there are some weird stipulations. They are on the same plug, the mother is super glued in place.. they are growing on a tiny section of egg crate connected to the plug and a snail shell is under one of the frags also glued there. How should I go about this?

20190728_210812.jpg 20190728_210843.jpg

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

The only way I know would be to use an exacto knife or new razor blade. Cut at the base as far down as possible. You can’t superglue the mushrooms. You can put the cut head into some gravel, but it needs to be low flow so it does not blow off. A small strainer type plastic container to hold in the gravel and frag like a planter may work. I have had some success using a rubber-band. I use the band to hold it down on the rock. Need to be careful though, can’t be too tight or too loose

OP
OP
Jake_the_reefer

Jake_the_reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

The only way I know would be to use an exacto knife or new razor blade. Cut at the base as far down as possible. You can’t superglue the mushrooms. You can put the cut head into some gravel, but it needs to be low flow so it does not blow off. A small strainer type plastic container to hold in the gravel and frag like a planter may work. I have had some success using a rubber-band. I use the band to hold it down on the rock. Need to be careful though, can’t be too tight or too loose
Sounds good I'll give it a shot. When you say cut down to the base does that mean to cut the foot? Like a smooth cut under the entire mushroom between its foot and the plug

Mastiffsrule

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if it is growing fairly fast instead of fragging I would just get a small rock and try to get the rock to rest right up by a part of the foot and see if it will start growing onto the rock.

Here is a vid of what I was trying to describe. There’s a few others you can google. One methods is leave it on the frag, cut the heads apart and then snip the base. This way don’t worry about getting it to attach to new base.

OP
OP
Jake_the_reefer

Jake_the_reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if it is growing fairly fast instead of fragging I would just get a small rock and try to get the rock to rest right up by a part of the foot and see if it will start growing onto the rock.

Here is a vid of what I was trying to describe. There’s a few others you can google. One methods is leave it on the frag, cut the heads apart and then snip the base. This way don’t worry about getting it to attach to new base.

Very useful! I'm scared haha I've never fragged anything let alone my bounce mushroom!

Mastiffsrule

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can always hold off and see if you can get it to grow onto a rock naturally.

If you frag gloves and eye protection can’t hurt :)

OP
OP
Jake_the_reefer

Jake_the_reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just fragged it and it's in a cup of rubble.. didnt realize how small the little mushroom was, fully bloomed it was a quarter of an inch and closed it's the size of a pencle eraser. Very hard to work with. But I now have 2 bounces!

OP
OP
Jake_the_reefer

Jake_the_reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update, I was actually able to glue it very gently. It had a tiny part of lighting diffuser it was rooted on so I used that to glue it to a small rock

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back