Unglued frags, is an urchin a bad idea?

ReefinIt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t glue my frags to the rock. I take them off the plug and glue them to a small piece of rock, then place them on the aquascape.

Dealing with some bad hair algae. Thinking about trying an urchin but don’t like the idea of them picking up frags. How big of an issue is it with urchins? Are they going to constantly be moving things around?

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many kinda bulldozer like.
If glued, Not a bad idea, however some may get rolled over.

Make sure you corrected the source of algae problem first or it will just return.

I’m guessing age and/or phosphate issue.

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t glue my frags to the rock. I take them off the plug and glue them to a small piece of rock, then place them on the aquascape.

Dealing with some bad hair algae. Thinking about trying an urchin but don’t like the idea of them picking up frags. How big of an issue is it with urchins? Are they going to constantly be moving things around?
Yes, they will move things around that aren’t glued down. Just a matter of when.

907_Reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a Halloween urchin in a prior tank, he would move loose frags regularly. It was more entertaining than problematic for us however..

Our interior re-decorator:

20130329_203739.jpg

zoomonster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a black urchin that's been in 11 years. Not as much a wrecking crew as other things like some of my wrasses but... they will scrape and eat coralline algae right off your rocks. Fortunately, mine stays in back out of sight eating coralline from back glass most of the time.

mww00ds

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of urchin are you thinking of getting? Some like to "carry" things around with them. Other might just bulldoze through. And then other wont really cause any problems. I had a purple long sprine that never bothered anything. In fact it was my hermit crabs that relocated more frags. But I've see some videos of Tuxido urchins carrying rocks, frags and shells around like hats

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 114 58.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.2%
Back