Help! Golden Rhombiod Wrasse Swimming Upside Down in QT

Elgringodiablo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Guys-

I'm on about day 16 of quarantining my Golden Rhomboid Wrasse from Live Aquaria. I did a second dose of Prazipro yesterday (2ml in 8 gallons of water) and this morning I noticed it swimming very erratically, almost disoriented. The first Prazi treatment didn't really affect it at all, that said, I did it 6 days ago, so maybe not enough space between dosing, did a 2 gallon water change between first treatment and second.

Yesterday I noticed that it had white stringy poop (which it still seems to have), so I am assuming it's an internal parasite. I really doubt it's a swim bladder issue, as it swam totally fine until today. It also ate like a pig until today.

Below is a video:

I am almost in salvage mode, as I've seen a lot of small fish like this go pretty fast when they start swimming like this. I tried feeding it mysis with metroplex and focus, but doesn't seem to be eating. I also added carbon to the HOB in case it's a prazi overdose, which I doubt.

Any suggestions? I'd hate to lose such a cool fish, and my wallet is unlikely to forgive me anytime soon.

OP
OP
Elgringodiablo

Elgringodiablo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd do a 100% water change in the case of an overdose... also, could he possibly have a spinal injury?
That's an option, but I will have to dilute my new salt water, since my QT is running at 1.024 and my new water is 1.026. Won't be able to do it until this evening too (work).

Is this type of behavior indicative of a Prazi overdose? I measured very carefully and after 6 days and a 25% water change, I doubt there would have been much, if any remnant medication.

I seriously doubt it's a spinal injury, just nothing really in there to injure it.

fragit

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a Lubbok's wrasse who exhibited very similar behavior. I think it was @Humblefish who watched my video and thought most likely it was a spinal injury. If it is not much you can do but wait. My fish passed, although I've read that some fish can survive this injury but most likely won't swim normally. Is the fish in a covered QT tank with other fish?

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a Lubbok's wrasse who exhibited very similar behavior. I think it was @Humblefish who watched my video and thought most likely it was a spinal injury. If it is not much you can do but wait. My fish passed, although I've read that some fish can survive this injury but most likely won't swim normally. Is the fish in a covered QT tank with other fish?

That's what it looks like to me, unfortunately.

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would also do a big water change and get the prazi out. Prazipro affects certain wrasses more than other fish. I first notice that it can affect their feeding. I couldn’t see the video clearly, but didn’t see any upside down swimming (which in my experience means the end is near) but upright swimming I’ve seen in a number of wrasses (including my golden rhomboid currently in QT).

OP
OP
Elgringodiablo

Elgringodiablo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fish is alone, no other fish, egg crate lid, water level is about 3" below the top. Without a serious scare, I don't see it hitting the lid, especially that hard. I would be hard pressed to say it's a spinal injury.

OP
OP
Elgringodiablo

Elgringodiablo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would also do a big water change and get the prazi out. Prazipro affects certain wrasses more than other fish. I first notice that it can affect their feeding. I couldn’t see the video clearly, but didn’t see any upside down swimming (which in my experience means the end is near) but upright swimming I’ve seen in a number of wrasses (including my golden rhomboid currently in QT).
It's swam upside down, in circles, erratically in general. I will get on the big water change ASAP.

OP
OP
Elgringodiablo

Elgringodiablo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I did a 5 gallon water change 63%. Not looking too hopeful. Kind of leaning against the corner breathing heavily. Big white poop coming out of it. My suspicion is that an internal parasite is messing up it's swim bladder and likely killing it.

I feel like all I can do at this point is cross my fingers. Normally when I see a wrasse this messed up, it's a goner.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salvage mode: slowly lower the salinity and slowly lower the temp a bit. Add more O2 to the tank. The recommended dose of Prazipro is actually a bit high. That’s why I use and recommend General Cure. The dose of praziquantel is lower yet gets the job done. Plus it also doses Metro. Much easier on fish, especially wrasses.

OP
OP
Elgringodiablo

Elgringodiablo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salvage mode: slowly lower the salinity and slowly lower the temp a bit. Add more O2 to the tank. The recommended dose of Prazipro is actually a bit high. That’s why I use and recommend General Cure. The dose of praziquantel is lower yet gets the job done. Plus it also doses Metro. Much easier on fish, especially wrasses.
No direct lights, just spillover from one of my tanks. I will work on lowering the salinity and temp. I don't have straight O2, just an airstone, so not much I can do there. I will definitely start using General Cure on my wrasses in QT in the future. Any additional considerations to make with General Cure? I've always thought Prazi was super safe, but I've had issues with using it on Sixline Wrasses in the past.

PGT253

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry man, it looks like a spinal injury to me. I had the same experience with the one I bought from LA. Did well for 3 weeks, then one day after the 2nd dose of prazi things went downhill. It died a week later.

OP
OP
Elgringodiablo

Elgringodiablo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry man, it looks like a spinal injury to me. I had the same experience with the one I bought from LA. Did well for 3 weeks, then one day after the 2nd dose of prazi things went downhill. It died a week later.
Honestly, just has me rethinking using PraziPro on wrasses, or at least only doing 50% dosage. Next time around I am going to try General Cure instead. Prophylactic treatments have become such a crapshoot. I am 100% sure I have killed fish with CP, Copper and Prazi... My current QT is down to, hold in a QT and observe, only medicate if I see a reason to.

The Rhomboid is still alive, but I don't expect it to be tomorrow morning. Hanging on by a thread.

PGT253

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm doing the modified version of TTM + GC for my red margin. 2 gallons water in a 5 gallons bucket with an airstone and a pvc for sleeping/hiding place. I do add prime and transfer every 36 hours for the first 4 transfers then every 48 hours for the next 3 transfers.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, that looks like a spinal injury. Some Epsom salt may help reduce swelling but other than that it’s a waiting game. In a few weeks it’ll either improve or die. IME 50/50.

OP
OP
Elgringodiablo

Elgringodiablo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s fish is screwed time for some sushi, sorry too soon?
Price tag on it is a lot higher than that record breaking bluefin tuna, unless I am bad at math. $1.78 million for 222kg, roughly $8 per gram. What do you think a 2 inch wrasse weighs? Gotta be under 10g. So at least double the price...

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 196 70.8%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 21 7.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 52 18.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 2.9%
Back