Help! Got poked

Simon Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello sorry to bother! I was actually just wondering if it was bad that I got poked cleaning my tank. I was cleaning some hard like sponges off my tank. They are the ones that spiral. They might not be sponges I’m just forgetting what they are at the moment. I tried pushing it off the glass and it poked me. It was on my hand and I just pulled it out didn’t really go deep to hurt or anything. A little blood showed up but didn’t seem to actually come out. I cleaned my hand multiple times with soap hydrogen peroxide and alcohol. I was just wondering if I need to worry about anything? The main thing I am worried about is bacteria but do you think I will be fine since I cleaned it? The hydrogen peroxide didn’t fizz up or anything

Thank you!!!!

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Distilled is better, never tried white wine vinegar. I keep distilled vinegar on hand at all times. I manage to get hit alot with bristleworms and my hands hate it.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Randy Holmes-Farley , maybe you can help in this.

I feel that if you see something that is not normal tomorrow, then go to the ER and see what it can be.

jassermd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doc here...
Unless it's red, swollen, painful with pus, it's likely just a histamine reaction. Infection will take 24-48 hrs to set in.
Agree with what others have recommended, as it's cleansing the wound.
Best thing is to clean it well with soap and water and put some neosporin or other anti-bacterial cream on it. Most likely that will be all you need to do. I've poked and scraped my hands quite a bit in my tank (as well as diving) and never had any issues... but that's me. Everyone is different.
If you see redness, swelling, or pus, you should get to UC as some marine bacteria can be quite pathogenic.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 22.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 34.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 53 31.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back