Help hanging a 60" ATI Hybrid light from the Wall that looks stylish

Nburg's Reef

High-Rise Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife and I are under contract for a new condo in DC, which I am so excited about because I can put my Red Sea 450 back up and get rid of this 20g I have. One speed bump is that the ceiling is concrete, exposed concrete. So hanging my current light from the ceiling seems out of the question. So, I have hang lights from the wall and have seen others, but it doesn't always look pretty. I'd rather do this than buy clip on LEDs.

Its going to go on the right wall between the concrete post and the mirror on the wall (this is staged furniture from the listing, so ignore the decor)
IMG-6440.JPG

The red sea is 20' deep, plus around 4" from the wall needed, so I would nee the ATI light cable to be 14" from the wall. My concerns are 1) strength to hold up the light since the 60" ATI Hybrid powermodule is not light, and 2) it must look nice.

I found this which looks okay but still might look a little funny.
bracket.PNG
IMG-6444.JPG

OP
OP
Nburg's Reef

Nburg's Reef

High-Rise Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll look into those and if the HOA allows drilling into the foundation. I was unsure about that because the track lighting and HVaC duct screws look pretty small and not a lot of weight. I’d rather hang if I can... but alternatives would be good to know if I can’t.

And that HVAC bent might already be in the way where I’d want to hang it.

SEGA

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the centerline measurement of the duct? It looks like it's going to be pretty close to the center of your tank. If so, I would use the duct to support the light. You should be able to just wrap the cable around the duct and hang it from there.

IMHO, it would look much better than the brackets mounted to the wall.

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious what you ended up doing? I may be in the same situation in terms of unable to hang from the ceiling.

OP
OP
Nburg's Reef

Nburg's Reef

High-Rise Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious what you ended up doing? I may be in the same situation in terms of unable to hang from the ceiling.
Don’t mind the mess, but I bought these brackets from Lowe’s just to get it up and may get something fancier down the line, but I may keep them. 15.5” shelf bracket with 70lb toggle bolts in the drywall. Kind of matches the industrial look.

26D597B4-E709-49BB-BEEA-6DADFB929B67.jpeg A77374AC-AE0A-4860-AE45-A32BDC54B440.jpeg

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 102 77.3%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 11 8.3%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 17 12.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back