HELP - HAS MY LION-FISH STUNG MY CLOWNFISH???

AbnormalReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, my clownfish currently is twitching and seemingly semi-paralyzed. His eyes are also swollen. I saw it just now. What can I do? I’m pretty sure it’s a sting from my lion-fish. Is it a goner? Or is there still hope?

OP
OP
AbnormalReefer

AbnormalReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
b771e143047ddada79b23a519f907cb1.jpg
d03f6b162a4c44d4535d81f16f0ebe24.jpg

Still alive, but I don’t know how long he has

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it was stung by the lion once it may survive and just be severely stunned, but multiple stings will probably result in death. It’s a roll of the dice if that’s the cause of this.

OP
OP
AbnormalReefer

AbnormalReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it was stung by the lion once it may survive and just be severely stunned, but multiple stings will probably result in death. It’s a roll of the dice if that’s the cause of this.

Hi,

Thanks for your help and advice. My clown escaped from his isolation box and as of now is nowhere to be found (hiding or dead under rock...?). All I can hope is that he recovers from the sting.

However, that particular clownfish has a history of being boisterous and highly aggressive, even to me, the hand that feeds it. So, I would not be surprised if he harassed the lion and the lion had enough of him. I hope he will live though and learn a lesson.

OP
OP
AbnormalReefer

AbnormalReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately I must report that my clown has passed. The body is missing. My small clown is now a loner and I will find a mate for it in the future.

However, my question is how to prevent this again? Is there a way to prevent this? Or was my particular clown just a feisty one who learnt a mortal lesson?

Porpoise Hork

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clowns don't readily accept replacements if a mate dies so be ready for some bullying and possibly outright fights. It took my female gold stripe maroon nearly three months before she stopped trying to attack the smaller male on sight. Even now she barely tolerates him being in the same open tank as her. I had him in a large acclimation box in the same tank and she would charge at him every time she came out from behind a rock and saw him.

As for the lion.. Well.. it's a lionfish it will eat what ever fits in its mouth, or flash its spines if it feels threatened. If you have a particularly aggressive or territorial clown and the lion gets close the clown will try to defend it's territory. Or if you have a smaller clown that the lion can fit in its mouth, hosting in an anemone or not it's going to be dinner sooner or later. Depending on the lionfish you may consider moving him to his own tank with other less territorial tank mates in with him. Otherwise this may be an issue with him and clowns.

OP
OP
AbnormalReefer

AbnormalReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clowns don't readily accept replacements if a mate dies so be ready for some bullying and possibly outright fights. It took my female gold stripe maroon nearly three months before she stopped trying to attack the smaller male on sight. Even now she barely tolerates him being in the same open tank as her. I had him in a large acclimation box in the same tank and she would charge at him every time she came out from behind a rock and saw him.

As for the lion.. Well.. it's a lionfish it will eat what ever fits in its mouth, or flash its spines if it feels threatened. If you have a particularly aggressive or territorial clown and the lion gets close the clown will try to defend it's territory. Or if you have a smaller clown that the lion can fit in its mouth, hosting in an anemone or not it's going to be dinner sooner or later. Depending on the lionfish you may consider moving him to his own tank with other less territorial tank mates in with him. Otherwise this may be an issue with him and clowns.

Hi,

Fortunately (fortunately???) the clown who died was the supposed dominant/female. I hear it’s easier to introduce a female to an established male versus the opposite.

Porpoise Hork

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the clown that died was the larger of the pair then it was likely the female. If you get another one it should be smaller than your current male but large enough that the lion won't be able to eat. The current male will start to become more dominant and put on some weight once the new clown is added in and some scuffle will be expected as they sort out who is more dominant and thus become the female. This can take 3-4 months or more for them to sort it out. Nipped fins and possible minor wounds are to be expected during this time. After they figure it out then they should be ok.. If the new clown is too small to keep with the lion, then you may want to consider selling the current clown you have left and getting a bonded pair instead. If you're particularly attached to the remaining clown and the new one is too small, then a 5-10g nano tank might be an ideal option to place the clowns in so they can grow some and sort out their hierarchy.

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank size?

It is possible to replace w/ another female, but, you'd have to do it pretty soon, which may mean bypass of QT or add both to qt if you have one.
It can be tougher to do it this way, but it could be done.

OP
OP
AbnormalReefer

AbnormalReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank size?

It is possible to replace w/ another female, but, you'd have to do it pretty soon, which may mean bypass of QT or add both to qt if you have one.
It can be tougher to do it this way, but it could be done.

180 gallon.

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm, I was expecting maybe tank was small and had space restrictions maybe.

Many lions will try to eat fish almost their own size, or possibly the clown was trying to chase from it's territory.

I don't keep lion fish anymore due to this risk

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Looks like Brooknella or fungus has gotten to this fish. Lion fish don't necessarily corner and sting a fish. The paralysis you describe is a fish lethargic due to condition it has developed. A water change is warranted as is treatment (PraziPro) should be effective and is reef safe

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 10 12.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 25 30.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 14 17.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back