Help! Have a JBJ 45 rimless tank and don’t know where to place the Tunze 9004 skimmer

Msamazing

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking in the back of my tank and can’t figure out where to put the skimmer. Do I remove one of the socks on the left or right end and put it in that spot or is supposed to go in the center area?

Any advice is appeciated.

F6A9F29A-B095-4A13-8A78-0005DBC192A7.jpeg

Jay Z

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When working with AIO rule of thumb is get in where you fit in. As in, where ever you can fit it.

In the chamber where the sock was at. Not going hurt anything running 1 sock. Might even have better tank health like some report.

I also have a jbj 45. After trying to fit 2 things in the back, I scraped that idea and added a pair of over flows and a sump. AOI's are sweet tanks, but room is limited if your going to stock heavily

Avoid the center chamber, that one fluctuates with water evaporating/adding, will cause issues tuning/over flowing the skimmer.

OP
OP
M

Msamazing

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When working with AIO rule of thumb is get in where you fit in. As in, where ever you can fit it.

In the chamber where the sock was at. Not going hurt anything running 1 sock. Might even have better tank health like some report.

I also have a jbj 45. After trying to fit 2 things in the back, I scraped that idea and added a pair of over flows and a sump. AOI's are sweet tanks, but room is limited if your going to stock heavily

Avoid the center chamber, that one fluctuates with water evaporating/adding, will cause issues tuning/over flowing the skimmer.
Ok great advice. I used the chamber where one of the socks was located. I turned on the skimmer and bubbles and water are coming our of the top and rolling off the top of the skimmer. Is this normal or should the water stay contained inside?

OP
OP
M

Msamazing

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should look like this after you get it dialed in. Not sure if you have a break in period or not. Foam should decrease as it runs and cleans the water.

Some additional reading for setup

Here is a photo of mine. It has a top which is enclosed. The bubbles start coming out of the 4 holes on the top. Am I doing something wrong?

DC13C5A6-A49E-4302-B4C4-7D8253C95402.jpeg

Jay Z

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like its overflowing some. Just read the info I posted, they had the proper way to set it up. Unfortunately I do not own one of these, so I do not know the exact setup/tuning procedure.

punkieg0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you ever figure this out? I have a new JBJ 45 with the Tunze skimmer that is doing the same thing.

mtess80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a photo of mine. It has a top which is enclosed. The bubbles start coming out of the 4 holes on the top. Am I doing something wrong?

DC13C5A6-A49E-4302-B4C4-7D8253C95402.jpeg
I have the same tank and will also be getting the tunze 9004 but from your pic, your water line should not be all the way across. There should be less water in the center chamber

Caption This Contest OFFICIAL VOTING POLL! (make a post in this thread and you could win a prize too)

• "What do you mean?! I am smiling!

• "Did she really just rejoin the ReefAholics Anonymous group...AGAIN?!"

• "Take a look at the new Sexy Shrimp!"

• "I'm funny how, I mean funny like I'm a clownfish? I amuse you?"

• "Looks like your living room is going through the ugly stage"

• "Aghhh! Go put on your makeup before feeding me, please!"

• "You try eating sand and not get constipated!"

• "Everyone, hide! The landlord is coming!"

• "He touched the butt!"

• "They forgot to shut off the RO line and left for work...AGAIN"

• "Get off my sand!"

• "What do you mean I can't say that on a family friendly forum?"

• "My face looking over my bank statement after a reef show..."

• "Kids, you're grounded! Get back in my mouth!"

• "When you see a human with a bucket and know somethings is about to go down."

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back