Help, Heater Ran Dry

Waffen06

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Came home to a splashing sound, at some point my ato shut off in my nuvo 20. The back chamber almost ran dry which housed my neotherm heater. Ive heard the horror stories of these and since it ran completely dry I don't know if I should trust it. Do they have an auto shut off for these cases? Also tank dropped down to 70 degrees, What should I do? Is the heater junk? How fast should I heat the tank back up?

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Cobalt Aquatics Neo-Therm fully submersible electronic heaters feature a modern, super flat design with an easy to set "one touch" control system. The advanced electronic thermostat is accurate to ±0.5° and includes a LED that displays both the Set Temp and Tank Temp simultaneously and has a Set temperature range from 66° up to 96°. For ultimate safety and reliability, integrated thermal protection circuitry shut the heater down before it can overheat and its shatterproof outer casing make the Neo-Therms virtually indestructible. Perfect for freshwater and saltwater aquariums and terrariums. Available in 25-200 watt sizes. 3 year warranty.

If the heater does not look deformed I would guess its ok
I would let the heater heat the tank back up and not add hot water.

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you wanted to play it safe, you could heat a small bucket of water with it and test for stray voltage, maintaining temperature, etc. But by the description, it should be okay. Though if there's any doubts, replace it. Heaters are cheap compared to livestock.

As for raising the temperature. Nothing drastic, just let a heater warm it up. I believe 70f while not ideal, is not in the lethal range.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 42 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 25 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back