Help hosting?

ashley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello so I purchased a very healthy rose bubble tip anemone and two clowns...they were both hiding in the store and the bag and while I acclimate them. But now that they are in the tank they haven't seen to find the anemone....will they ever find it?

buckroe07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem. They'll even find goniopora, hammers, torches, alveopora, and evens zoas/palys when you don't want them to :mad:. Just as long as they don't kill the corals they choose to host I'm actually fine with. :D

OP
OP
ashley

ashley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a blue and yellow damsel that's being very mean and territorial...what can I do to stop it. In two day I will be doing a tank swap. Should I add the clowns to the tank before...to stop the bullying. I have a yellow tang, two banggi cardinals, a six line warresse, and two peppermint shrimp?

LetItReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a blue and yellow damsel that's being very mean and territorial...what can I do to stop it. In two day I will be doing a tank swap. Should I add the clowns to the tank before...to stop the bullying. I have a yellow tang, two banggi cardinals, a six line warresse, and two peppermint shrimp?

Had a Blue Damsel that is mean-bullying/knocking down frags. When I did upgrade my tank that Damsel did not taste the bigger tank- I returned it to lfs.

OP
OP
ashley

ashley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a Blue Damsel that is mean-bullying/knocking down frags. When I did upgrade my tank that Damsel did not taste the bigger tank- I returned it to lfs.
Oh ok thanks...i think I wanna keep him. He doesn't bother anything else...maybe I'll keep him in the sump for a bit and then let the clowns find the nem and settle in and then re introduce him.

buckroe07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since you have all the fish already, you can put them all in at once and they will sort of "battle" it out who gets what and where. The clowns will definitely hold their own. All the damsels I've had were actually intimidated by my clown(s) especially clowns that are paired and have picked their territory. They may even bite your hand when you get to close to their spot. The damsel also. Ouch!:confused:Unfortunately they bite the hands that feed them...not like dogs:)

johnsamm7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a rainbow bta as well as a condy just added a gold stripped maroon clown he was hosting multiple anemones in the lfs what's he do when he goes in my tank goes right to the hammer :/
6785d8edcf637f691acbe7e4349f80e6.jpg

2cbd43384610bc6284f73afe04cef6de.jpg

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a rainbow bta as well as a condy just added a gold stripped maroon clown he was hosting multiple anemones in the lfs what's he do when he goes in my tank goes right to the hammer :/ LOL nice looking Nem I think your clown fish needs to go back to clown school same as my 2

TaylorWIN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally tried the floating breeder box trick. I was able to put the entire small rock that my nem got on, into the breeder box, then caught my clowns, and put them in the breeder box with them. I gently did this, and watched the entire process, because if clowns aren't used to the sting, then they could potentially get eaten. Long story short, I had 2 true perculas (tank raised), a GBTA. Within 3 hours, they were hosting. Upon replacement to the tank, they didn't immediately go back to the GBTA, but the next morning, they where all over it.

this really does work, but like most will tell ya, becareful, you will be stressing both the nem and the clowns during this process.

additional info:
I waited 3 months before finally doing this.
once I did it, it took about 3 hours.

Results: never ending bouncing and dancing with my nem.

OP
OP
ashley

ashley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since you have all the fish already, you can put them all in at once and they will sort of "battle" it out who gets what and where. The clowns will definitely hold their own. All the damsels I've had were actually intimidated by my clown(s) especially clowns that are paired and have picked their territory. They may even bite your hand when you get to close to their spot. The damsel also. Ouch!:confused:Unfortunately they bite the hands that feed them...not like dogs:)
Thanks for the advice. I got home today from work and the clown was in the nem. When it was at the store there was only one clown that was hosting the nem which I presume is the one that's back in it. The other one is just keeping its distance. And thankfully the damsel is no longer being a bully.

20170307_192906.jpg

OP
OP
ashley

ashley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a rainbow bta as well as a condy just added a gold stripped maroon clown he was hosting multiple anemones in the lfs what's he do when he goes in my tank goes right to the hammer :/

Awww that sucks. But is cool at the same time. I was under the impression that I bought a rose bubble...but looking at yours I think they were two g on the name and its a rainbow

20170307_192906.jpg

20170307_192822.jpg

20170306_194314.jpg

OP
OP
ashley

ashley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to be doing a tank transfer tomorrow and I hope that everyone does well and I dont hurt anything. This is what it looks like (prior to the nem and the clowns). So I hope it will look better.

20170220_092959.jpg

OP
OP
ashley

ashley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good already! Why tranfer? The only reason I know is a bigger tank:D;)
Thank you....i am transferring to a smaller tank...its two gallons smaller. The reason is I currently have just the tank..so with the new one it comes with the dt a sump the stand and a light....so I will have a complete setup

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad this worked out for you, I have thought about trying some of the methods to get mine to host but my RTBA is in a hole in my rock work and I can't get him out. so maybe in the next year or two they will find him lol

lauderdalestunner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Takes time but should happen. My clown hosted with a BTA after a few months but was booted out by a porcelain crab. My mistake lost the nem and crab. Went a month or two with out any nems. Just added a new bta this weekend and within 12hrs/next morning the clown found his new unoccupied friend

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 19 20.9%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 68 74.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.3%
Back