Help! House AC failed. Tank is at 83 degrees and rising.

Zakary2003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My house air conditioning gave out yesterday and the temperature of my house is rising steadily. We cannot get someone to come out and fix it soon enough. My 8 gallon nano tank is currently at 83.6 and the temperature keeps rising. I currently have a fan pointed at the water surface but it can only do so much. How can I bring down and keep down the tank temperature? Can I add RODI ice cubes or cold water or would that shock the fish and corals? This is a mixed tank with all inexpensive or easy corals. There are zoas, monti caps, chalice, pagona, and clove polyps so far. The only fish is a damsel and there is a small CuC with hermit crabs, astrea snails, and a tiger conch. There is also an expensive bubble tip anemone... please help!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
My house air conditioning gave out yesterday and the temperature of my house is rising steadily. We cannot get someone to come out and fix it soon enough. My 8 gallon nano tank is currently at 83.6 and the temperature keeps rising. I currently have a fan pointed at the water surface but it can only do so much. How can I bring down and keep down the tank temperature? Can I add RODI ice cubes or cold water or would that shock the fish and corals? This is a mixed tank with all inexpensive or easy corals. There are zoas, monti caps, chalice, pagona, and clove polyps so far. The only fish is a damsel and there is a small CuC with hermit crabs, astrea snails, and a tiger conch. There is also an expensive bubble tip anemone... please help!
obtain zip lock bags. You can buy a 30 pack for under $5. Place them in the sump, and use a size that will fit fine and the idea is to rotate them. fill about 5 of them with water and place in freezer. Place one frozen one in sump, allow to melt and lower temp. When it melts, pull a new frozen one from freezer and place melted one back in freezer. Often one bag may bring down temp less than a half degree why you want several

ErikVR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can second that. Frozen water bottles and managing the temperature that way has once saved my Malawi cichlids during a freak heat wave of 40c+. Took a lot of effort but with a smaller tank it should be manageable. Good luck!

rennjidk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you make your own rodi from a faucet, it's going to come out around 50-70F. Just do a 2g WC and repeat as necessary. Then you can start freezing bottles or whatever after.

Last edited:

jkcoral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with everyone recommending water bottles. I live in FL, and have been in a similar situation a few years back. Here’s what I did:

1. Go to store and get a large (24 pack or whatever) of water bottles. Grab ziplock bags if you don’t have.
2. picked up 2 bags of ice.
3. Made ~8-10 bags of zip locked ice (double bagged). Put 2-3 in my tank (maybe fewer for your smaller tank) and the rest in the freezer waiting.
4. Took 8 water bottles and emptied them into my dogs’ water bowl and watered a few plants. Filled them up with Rodi water.
5. Grab cooler, lunchbox, whatever, add water bottles and a lot of ice in, a ton of table salt (if you have it), and fill the rest with water to make a freezing slurry to chill/freeze bottles fast.

Now you’ll have frozen water bottles that do a great job at bringing it down pretty quick, and while you can skip the Rodi water part, I was able to use a bottle a few times to pour in basically freezing top off water that was able to bring down water temp very aggressively if needed. Made it through a few days after a nasty storm hit with the tank being warmer than usual, but okay.

Good luck!

jkcoral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone is way over thinking your issue. It's an 8 GALLON NANO TANK. If you make your own rodi from a faucet, it's going to come out around 50-70F. Just do a 2g WC and repeat as necessary. Then you can start freezing bottles or whatever after.

This is probably true lol.

Started having ptsd flashbacks of dealing with this type of situation on a larger tank after a hurricane hahaha. Like a much more manageable situation on a smaller scale, and controlling the temp should be a little easier.

OP
OP
Z

Zakary2003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used zip lock bags full of ice. Temp is currently 79. I'm going to bring it down to 76 where I normally keep it and then switch to the frozen water bottles when they are done.

jkcoral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used zip lock bags full of ice. Temp is currently 79. I'm going to bring it down to 76 where I normally keep it and then switch to the frozen water bottles when they are done.

Awesome. You may be melting a little, but at least your little creatures will be okay!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
dog melting.jpg

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 33 26.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 40 32.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back