TEMP IS RISING

gjwach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Temp is rising question?

I have a 220 gallon tank with a sump that maintains roughly 30 gallons which is located one floor below in my basement.

I had been running a single Echotech Vector L2 return pump in my sump which fed through a Pentair 40 watt UV before returning to the tank.

Other equipment: listed because of heat relation

- A Helio 1000 watt heater (2 500 watt units on one Helio controller.
- A Aquamaxx DC skimmer
- A Kessil Refugium Light running opposite tank lights
- Two Kessil AP700 Tank Lights
- Four MP40 Wave

Ambient Room Temp Tank: 71 degrees
Ambient Room Temp Sump Room: 71 degrees

When I was running a single Echotech Vector L2 the calibrated Apex Temp probe in the sump showed 79ish degrees with minor fluctions and a calibrated Apex probe in my tank showed a dead on steady 78.4 degrees.

I have recently added a second Echotech Vector L2 that runs a direct route back to the returns (bypassing the Pentair 40 watt UV) to increase the return flow. Which has effectively doubled the return gph to my aquarium from the basement sump.

Since adding the second pump on Friday my temperature in the sump and tank have been steadily rising with the re-verified calibrated Apex temperature probes now reading:

Sump: 80.3 degrees
Tank: 79.8 degrees
Helio Sump Probe: 80.3 degrees as well

I have eliminated that the heaters are failing and in fact have not even drawn power since shortly after the second Vectra L2 pump was added and I in fact have the power control on the Apex for the heaters turned off since this morning.

My question is: Could adding the second Vectra L2 return pump truly be the cause of the rising and/or increased temperatures at both the tank and sump temperature probes from the heat transfer of the motor?

And if so what would recommend solutions be?

OP
OP
G

gjwach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Extra pump can easily raise water temp 1-2 degrees especially with that much lift. If it really bothers you have you tried cutting back UV timer to see if you can get back to previous temperature?
I just understand that 78 degrees in kind of that goldilocks temperature and definitely am not used to having my aquarium in the 79-80 range.

Trying to get everything in check before even thinking about corals.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just understand that 78 degrees in kind of that goldilocks temperature and definitely am not used to having my aquarium in the 79-80 range.

There should be no issue with your temperature at 79-80 - however I'm surprised that with an ambient temperature of 71, that a UV and 2 pumps can increase it by 9 degrees or so. I might have used a different way to increase flow in your tank (i.e. pumps in the tank) - which would be more efficient - and less 'hot'. But that ship has sailed. You try a fan running over your sump - which should cool the water some. PS. at higher temps bacteria will grow more quickly - and O2 concentration may be lower

OP
OP
G

gjwach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There should be no issue with your temperature at 79-80 - however I'm surprised that with an ambient temperature of 71, that a UV and 2 pumps can increase it by 9 degrees or so. I might have used a different way to increase flow in your tank (i.e. pumps in the tank) - which would be more efficient - and less 'hot'. But that ship has sailed. You try a fan running over your sump - which should cool the water some. PS. at higher temps bacteria will grow more quickly - and O2 concentration may be lower
The temperature increase actually started from the original aquarium water temperature of 78.4 degrees and the sump water temperature of 79ish degrees with the second pump then being turned on just this past Friday evening (two days ago).

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Under 82 is usually fine and higher if acclimated slowly. The only thing I have seen just not having it is Turbo Snails. I have a buddy who has turbo snails and his tank is 84ish this time of year though so maybe just something about my tank prams in conjunction with temperature.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The temperature increase actually started from the original aquarium water temperature of 78.4 degrees and the sump water temperature of 79ish degrees with the second pump then being turned on just this past Friday evening (two days ago).
Right - I meant a 9 degree difference from ambient temps. sorry it wasn't clear.

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right - I meant a 9 degree difference from ambient temps. sorry it wasn't clear.
If I had to guess it’s his heater. My house is 74 and tank stays around 79 until UV comes on. Then it climbs fairly quick (2 degrees over 6 hours).

OP
OP
G

gjwach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Under 82 is usually fine and higher if acclimated slowly. The only thing I have seen just not having it is Turbo Snails. I have a buddy who has turbo snails and his tank is 84ish this time of year though so maybe just something about my tank prams in conjunction with temperature.
I have a feeling it is something I just will need to adjust too.

Having the tank sit at 78.4 steady for so long and then having the temperature go up unexpectedly with the addition of the second pump for the added flow and me needing to travel for work for the week, starting tomorrow morning, is unsettling.

For piece of mind I will most likely shut the second pump down and let things settle back slowly for my trip then turn it back on when I return on Thursday and have over a week before work takes me out of town again to be certain everything can get back to a steady state just at a slightly higher temperature while I can be near to watch it closely.

OP
OP
G

gjwach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I had to guess it’s his heater. My house is 74 and tank stays around 79 until UV comes on. Then it climbs fairly quick (2 degrees over 6 hours).
I actually eliminated the Helio PTC heater as the potential problem area.

I had shut the outlet down to the heater when the tank temperature crossed over 79 degrees thinking msybe i had a heater failure even though only a few months old.

I pulled them and ran them in a bucket of water and the temp rose from 70 to 78 and then they shut of and turned on again when I added ice to bring the temp in the bucket down.

All the while, with no heaters in the sump at all, the temperature continued to rise to where it was when I posted the question (80.3 degrees in the sump and 79.8 degrees in the tank)

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually eliminated the Helio PTC heater as the potential problem area.

I had shut the outlet down to the heater when the tank temperature crossed over 79 degrees thinking msybe i had a heater failure even though only a few months old.

I pulled them and ran them in a bucket of water and the temp rose from 70 to 78 and then they shut of and turned on again when I added ice to bring the temp in the bucket down.

All the while, with no heaters in the sump at all, the temperature continued to rise to where it was when I posted the question (80.3 degrees in the sump and 79.8 degrees in the tank)
Was referring to the UV as a 40w heater.

Bigmikespc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My house is regularly kept at 70 degrees and my 150 gallon with a 55 gallon sump, 2 return pumps, protein skimmer, algae scrubber, three power heads and 6 lights at 50% strength sits between 79-80 degrees with that ambient temp. If we turn on the AC and get the house to 67 it will then turn the heaters on to maintain 78. So what your describing doesn’t seem to be out of the ordinary for me.

If you run glass lids, going to a vented lid would help to radiat some heat. I went from a glass lid to a Tenecor vented lid (the 75 gallon model fits the 150 gallon model) and this kept it from going above 80 in my scenario.

OP
OP
G

gjwach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was referring to the UV as a 40w heater.
Gotcha. Thank you for the clarification. I definitely misunderstood what you meant but I can see that for sure as my true aquarium heaters ran very little according to power consumption logs even prior to the additional return pump being added.

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe the solution has been presented already. fan blowing across water, less uv time. I will add that you should ensure ample surface agitation where the fan blows. It makes perfect sense that you added a pump and temp went up. 71 degree ambient temp should make for easy cooling of tank

OP
OP
G

gjwach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My house is regularly kept at 70 degrees and my 150 gallon with a 55 gallon sump, 2 return pumps, protein skimmer, algae scrubber, three power heads and 6 lights at 50% strength sits between 79-80 degrees with that ambient temp. If we turn on the AC and get the house to 67 it will then turn the heaters on to maintain 78. So what your describing doesn’t seem to be out of the ordinary for me.

If you run glass lids, going to a vented lid would help to radiat some heat. I went from a glass lid to a Tenecor vented lid (the 75 gallon model fits the 150 gallon model) and this kept it from going above 80 in my scenario.
That really put things into perspective. TY

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you just need a fan and should be good to go with the ambient temp you keep. I'm not a controller guy but couldn't the apex be used to control a fan? I run three tanks but have to run a fan on only one because of devices putting off heat in that sump.

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you just need a fan and should be good to go with the ambient temp you keep. I'm not a controller guy but couldn't the apex be used to control a fan? I run three tanks but have to run a fan on only one because of devices putting off heat in that sump.

That or an inkbird. Unfortunately where I live fans are about useless. HVAC has a whole house dehumidifier set for 55%. ATO basically doesn’t even run in summer.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started keeping my reef at 74. Save me 60 bucks a month and no noticeable difference.

Fan on a light timer can keep things cool - you don't even have to get fancy with a temperature controller.

Have you double checked your temperature probe/controller with something with mercury in it, or the like? Hard to imagine that 71 degree room has an overheating tank.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 101 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.8%
Back