HELP I HAVE FLATWORMS

Davesgt

Happy Happy Happy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are they bad
Honestly IMO they probably not gonna bother anything, but what I would do is try to siphon out as many as possible when you do your next water change and feed your fish lightly for the next week or so. Help starve them out and id say they should go away without any drastic measures. If the problem keeps on after this then id look more in depth, but your tank is still new and tanks do weird stuff in their first year lol

Davesgt

Happy Happy Happy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a phantom clown a frostbite clown and a mandarin goby(he eats frozen brine and my sister) and a diamond sand sifter. That's what I was wondering next is if a six line wrasse would eat them.
Six line probably wouldd but IMO they are just too aggressive, I have a lot better luck with Melanarus wrasse and I think they look better. I keep one in my frag tank and pest don't have a chance against him lol.

OP
OP
brittany.ann.burleigh93

brittany.ann.burleigh93

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay cause all my lfs has is six lines right now I'll have him order me a melanarus wrasse. I don't want any mean fish I've as a couple of them I had to take back. Like my coral beauty who killed my fire goby and started beating on my banded sleeper goby..

Davesgt

Happy Happy Happy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay cause all my lfs has is six lines right now I'll have him order me a melanarus wrasse. I don't want any mean fish I've as a couple of them I had to take back. Like my coral beauty who killed my fire goby and started beating on my banded sleeper goby..
Id do a little research and see what else wrasse wise is out there that might cater to your needs, but I just happen to like the Melanarus better. They do belong in a family of wrasse that are notorious for picking but ive never had any problems and neither have any of the people I know that have them, especially since its not the first fish added.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
weird bugs. Ive had flatworm blooms in the tank from time to time, populations do ebb and flow. I have mandarins and gobys etc so lots of different pods too.
You may want to look into dragonface pipefish. Mine ate frozen and appearantly anything else. Super personality too.
Jugging by the strange that appears in my sump and not the DT, they're doing a pretty good job on cleanup.

Chris Adams

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to read the info on that fish.
Not a good swimmer(so flow in tank needs to be considered).
Diet can be an issue etc etc.. It is rated as difficult but yet is the hardiest of pipefish(wow).

I would go with Wrasse as Dave is suggesting

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are they friendly and do well with other fish
if your a mellow tank person oh yea. I had a coral beauty(suprised yours was bad mine was a "Bro fish") Male female mandarin, ruby dragonette, fire fish , and a royal gramma. all got along very well. I also had a two spot yellow coris(didnt make it:() at the time. All mellow fish. The coris was the most active of them but all got along very well in a 55g standard.
Another good choice might be Red or brown Scooter blenny. Also a good pod, bug eater. I have one in my 30g cube. My first was like a lab, super happy all the time. this one is not so engaged. Hardly ever see it eat frozen but its fat as heck.
Personality's do vary in fish too.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to read the info on that fish.
Not a good swimmer(so flow in tank needs to be considered).
Diet can be an issue etc etc.. It is rated as difficult but yet is the hardiest of pipefish(wow).

I would go with Wrasse as Dave is suggesting
yes do research and make sure its a good fit.
The three Ive owned were awesome in my mixed reefs. Great swimmer, used to bounce along in the current at feeding time. no wont do well in a high flow sps tank but neither will a mandarin.
Like a mandarin it needs pods n bugs and weened to frozen. Loved frozen rotifers, brine shrimp, mysis, etc.

user experiences vary. just my .02 and im looking for a new pipe and yellow coris fwiw

Chris Adams

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes do research and make sure its a good fit.
The three Ive owned were awesome in my mixed reefs. Great swimmer, used to bounce along in the current at feeding time. no wont do well in a high flow sps tank but neither will a mandarin.
Like a mandarin it needs pods n bugs and weened to frozen. Loved frozen rotifers, brine shrimp, mysis, etc.

user experiences vary. just my .02 and im looking for a new pipe and yellow coris fwiw
Ya found that out with my Mandarin. Once moved from SPS high flow it is so much happier. Glad I had a lower flow tank to put it in.

OP
OP
brittany.ann.burleigh93

brittany.ann.burleigh93

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have much flow in my tank my hammer coral closes right up when I have any type of flow by it. And My mandarin isn't as picky as everyone said they was. People us to give me grief all the time cause I have a mandarin in a new tank. But my mandarins fat and happy and has never given me any scares besides the first night he turned white but I found out after that that is how they sleep.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have much flow in my tank my hammer coral closes right up when I have any type of flow by it. And My mandarin isn't as picky as everyone said they was. People us to give me grief all the time cause I have a mandarin in a new tank. But my mandarins fat and happy and has never given me any scares besides the first night he turned white but I found out after that that is how they sleep.
yup been there. This is the first forum Ive that has been supportive of different fish types..... with careful study and prep. I had the fish police called on me sooo many times other places.
good folks round here.

OP
OP
brittany.ann.burleigh93

brittany.ann.burleigh93

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh yea I was part of a group on Facebook that loves to bash me every chance they got. Cause I was two new at this hobby to have such a "hard fish to keep". They all said he would be dead with in the first two days and now he's been alive for 2 months and 4days
d727eedc5936ece63251a97f841afffa.jpg

Davesgt

Happy Happy Happy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh yea I was part of a group on Facebook that loves to bash me every chance they got. Cause I was two new at this hobby to have such a "hard fish to keep". They all said he would be dead with in the first two days and now he's been alive for 2 months and 4days
d727eedc5936ece63251a97f841afffa.jpg
If you ever need any help feel free to ask, I know some about fish but im pretty good when it comes to LPS and soft corals. Im always learning and no one will know everything so always remember that.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 44 20.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 158 73.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 4.7%
Back