Help! I think I have zoa pox

Seashelly

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys.

TL;DR. Please look at my pictures to confirm whether or not I have zoa pox. Thanks!

Long version: I have 9 zoas that have been in quarantine since December 19. Over time I noticed the polyps weren't opening as much on two frags. On the 27th I found 2 aptasia on each of these frags which I promptly treated and haven't seen since. I don't think that was the main problem though. Now, at least a few polyps on each frag are staying closed all the time.

Tested parameters but found no issues. The only other problem is algae due to no clean up crew ATM.

I've been inspecting the frags closely every day, and haven't found anything to explain the closed polyps until yesterday.

I noticed new white spots. Some look like vermitid snails (but on zoa stalks?), but there are a few on the actual zoa polyps that look different. Based on pics I've seen online, I think the ones on the polyps are zoa pox. Can anyone confirm?

Capture+_2021-01-08-11-27-29.png

RedFrog211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a bam bam frag that got pox- does yours look like this? Hard to tell from the pics.

Some say that clean water and proper parameters will resolve it. If it’s in QT, you can try a Furan 2 dip method!

Unfortunately, due to work, I was unable to properly treat my frag and had to toss it. Hopefully you have a better outcome!

Attachments

• A1A7E97B-8AC9-48FF-920A-8716B1354277.png
    A1A7E97B-8AC9-48FF-920A-8716B1354277.png
    620.6 KB · Views: 108

saltybees

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to tell from the pic, does it blow off with a turkey baster? Are they raised nodules? Could it be sand? You could do a furan treatment if you’re convinced it’s pox, you could also pop the “pimples” gently with a needle and do a lugols dip which could help also..much flow? They like more flow then you’d think which could help if detritus is settling around the stalks.

OP
OP
Seashelly

Seashelly

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did you treat for the aiptasia? Did you maybe get something caustic on the zoas in the process?
These weren't the original frags treated for aptasia. Those are in a different tank now, but they were treated with aptasia-x separately from the tank/these frags.

I had a bam bam frag that got pox- does yours look like this? Hard to tell from the pics.

Some say that clean water and proper parameters will resolve it. If it’s in QT, you can try a Furan 2 dip method!
It does seem very similar to your pics. Very hard to get my camera to focus properly...I know my photo isn't great.

I would love to use this furan-2 I keep reading about... But I'm in Canada where most medications are no longer sold. I am hoping to get a box imported but it'll be a month before it gets here, if it even gets over the border. :( Do you (or anyone) know an effective treatment available in Canada?
Hard to tell from the pic, does it blow off with a turkey baster? Are they raised nodules? Could it be sand? You could do a furan treatment if you’re convinced it’s pox, you could also pop the “pimples” gently with a needle and do a lugols dip which could help also..much flow? They like more flow then you’d think which could help if detritus is settling around the stalks.

Doesn't blow off. Definitely not sand because there is no sand in this tank at all. I would love to use furan but can't get it in Canada. I am asking around my local groups. Might have to try the pimple popping thing if I can't get it... Not sure what lugols is but I'll look into it!

Thanks for responding!

RedFrog211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess your best bet is water parameters, unless you’re able to find an alternative treatment. As suggest above, decent flow helps keep the polyps clean— best of luck! You seem to have caught it quicker than I did mine, so hopefully it all works out :)

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Pics fuzzy but looks more like unhappy ones than pox . May be mulm on them.
some steps you can take:
- Give them gentle blasts with a turkey baster
- dip them in a 50/50 solution of tank water and iodine OR peroxide but not both
- add iodine to tank water and lower white light intensity
- check bottom of their plug for little bugs

temp 76-79
Salinity 1.925
Ph 8.1-8.3
Nitrate < .04
Phosphate < .94

moderate light and water flow

RedFrog211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pics fuzzy but looks more like unhappy ones than pox . May be mulm on them.
some steps you can take:
- Give them gentle blasts with a turkey baster
- dip them in a 50/50 solution of tank water and iodine OR peroxide but not both
- add iodine to tank water and lower white light intensity
- check bottom of their plug for little bugs

temp 76-79
Salinity 1.925
Ph 8.1-8.3
Nitrate < .04
Phosphate < .94

moderate light and water flow
Some high salinity there friend! Hahaha :)

saltybees

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m in Canada too so no furan, i think there’s a fungus med for fresh water fish that has the same main ingredient but I have no idea if it would work nor any experience with it unfortunately.

Might be worth looking into though if that’s the end diagnosis of pox.

lugols solution is an iodine solution that I’m sure you can find, I found my bottle at a rexals, I think it was about 13$.

my zoas were having some issues that almost seemed like pox/hydroids..I used a cup of tank water and 4 drops of lugols and gently qtipped then turkey basted the polyps and let them soak for 8ish mins. Totally got rid of the issue.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 91

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 43.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%

Back