HELP! I think I messed up, BIG TIME!!

ChristieM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am relatively new to saltwater. My original tank has been up and running for almost a year, no problems since the first cycle. I am now upgrading to a 75 gallon. That first 75 gallon started to leak, 4 days after I started it. LFS said I could keep the live rock in a tote with the water to keep the rock alive. I bought a new tank and got it up and running but the water smelled NASTY! I threw in turbo start 900 yesterday to boost the start of the cycle. Salinity is at 1.022. Parameters are good so far, as expected. BUT, today I came home and there was a yucky film and particles in the water and at the surface. I threw in some Acurel F and floss in the filter to clear up the water. I had it on hand for the cichlid tank. Obviously I messed up because I didn’t know it can’t be used in saltwater! Now the water is cloudy as all get up and I’m afraid I’ve ruined the whole cycle and the live bacteria. Any advice????

7C4AB8F5-8B12-41FF-B705-F59844C40066.jpeg

KCheeze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i wouldn't be to worried as long as there isn't any livestock in the tank, water clouds up when its first added and acurel F is stated to be all natural, test your water, continue the cycle, it should clear up on its own

OP
OP
ChristieM

ChristieM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i wouldn't be to worried as long as there isn't any livestock in the tank, water clouds up when its first added and acurel F is stated to be all natural, test your water, continue the cycle, it should clear up on its own
Thank you for responding. There is one damsel in there. I had no choice but to put him in here after he killed my goby in my 40 gallon and started going after my baby clown. My QT is occupied with two new fish so I couldn’t put him in there, I didn’t want to risk him getting sick if they have any issues that haven’t popped up quite yet.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.7%
Back