If so - how to eradicate?

IMG_2254.jpeg

IMG_2255.jpeg

mav3rick478

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bad, Waminoa Flatworms, dip in Coral Rx asap and look at your other corals. They don't eat corals but instead smother them because they feed on their mucus. Easiest way to see them move is to hit your corals with some liquid coral food using a turkey baster and they will wiggle and show themselves. I had them on my mushrooms and hammers. I dipped them for a few weeks just to make sure i got them all and broke the cycle.

LadAShark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No-can-do - this is a fishless (for a purpose) coral QT tank...
I'd go for a bayer dip. Issue is of course now those flatworms are in your qt, and are unlikely to disappear on their own if they've spread at all.

OP
OP
naterealbig

naterealbig

pea brain
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'd go for a bayer dip. Issue is of course now those flatworms are in your qt, and are unlikely to disappear on their own if they've spread at all.

From what I've read, these only "infect" Euphylia - that that sound right? I do have other softies and LPS in with it though.

If the above is accurate, then the good news is that I only have one Euphylia in that QT system.

Is this is same "Bayer Advanced" (in the blue bottle) that started a couple years back as a prophylactic dip?

You know the messed up part is that I got these from a reputable LFS - actually ticks me off. And it was in a tank with a ton of high end Euphylia.... yikes.

OP
OP
naterealbig

naterealbig

pea brain
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey - yes.

I dipped the coral in recommended strength and time in Coral Rx. The flatworms withered and died immediately. I put the coral back in QT (fishless), and they are still there.

I inspect periodically at night with a flash light. No flatworms at all. Coral is doing well and continues to grow.

OP
OP
naterealbig

naterealbig

pea brain
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Gotcha - hope the info helps!

My specimen was back to normal the next day.

Be sure to inspect for eggs on the skeleton when you dip. I inspected mine (and to be honest, I should have dipped my coral once a week for 5 weeks) but I have a super looooooooooong QT period for all of my corals, I had (have) plenty of time to catch an outbreak.

I have a video scope that I break out on occasion, but I use these on a regular basis. Not much will get by if you can light the coral with a bright flashlight while you inspect. It's amazing what you can see with them (oh - and super-cheap).

1691719211745.png

OP
OP
naterealbig

naterealbig

pea brain
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey there, I just found these on my octospawn. I tried Coral Rx as well and it did not seem to work on the waminoa flatworms. How long did you dip it for and how much did you dilute the Coral Rx with tank water?
Hi there - I'm out of the country right now so i can't look at the bottle. But whatever the recommended time and strength (per the back of the bottle) is what i used.

mav3rick478

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no worries at all. Thanks so much for your reply! Will try again!
Just so you know I've had corals dipped in Coral RX for almost an hour and at a stronger dosage then recommended for these flatworms with no ill effects. But of course that could just been luck so try at your own risk.

Macbalacano

Recovering Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just so you know I've had corals dipped in Coral RX for almost an hour and at a stronger dosage then recommended for these flatworms with no ill effects. But of course that could just been luck so try at your own risk.
That’s great to know. Thank you! Were they also Euphilias?

mav3rick478

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s great to know. Thank you! Were they also Euphilias?
Yes, frogspawns, hammers and also other corals mushrooms, zoas, acans and blastos. I actually over dose my Coral Rx when dipping in general because I'm too lazy to make a gallon of water for dipping. I dip my corals in a small deli container

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 29 53.7%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 12 22.2%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 11 20.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.7%
Back