Help ID of 3 different types /colors of sponges that hitchhiked on live rock

Addicted2Reef’n

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious if anyone has seen these sponges before. The large grayish white sponge is the same color as a pineapple sponge but much larger at 6” x 3” underside of rock. I acquired this rock from lfs. I saw what I thought was grey putty on the underside of rock and turned out to be this sponge. The second photo shows the two other sponges - one is orange and has a growth that sprouts up and dangles in the current. The third sponge was a purple color but now that it is in higher light I presume it has turned black but still alive. The large and black sponge have been in my 2 year old system for a year w no problems but just moved to this 2 month old system last month.

IMG_5505.jpeg IMG_5509.jpeg

ISpeakForTheSeas

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1st pick looks like some form of tunicate.
Ok I am not sure what differences are but I will do some research. Thx for your input appreciate it. Been active in this hobby for two years and still amazed 1/2 the stuff that pops up in my tank.
The first does somewhat resemble a colonial tunicate, but it's a sponge (some differences discussed below):
Sponges and colonial tunicates can sometimes be incredibly difficult to tell apart (at least externally and without a microscope), but here's some advice for this particular situation:
colonial tunicates are typically very uniform, with all of the in-current siphons being roughly the same size and shape and being distributed very uniformly as well; sponges tend to be less uniform and more haphazard with their in-current siphons;

OP, I'll try and see if I can figure out some ID's when I get the time here, but be aware that sponge ID without a microscope and/or DNA can be difficult and/or inaccurate:
Anyway, here’s a good Sponge ID resource for anyone who’s interested- as mentioned, though, sometimes DNA is the best indicator for telling sponges apart:
https://www.fao.org/3/i7773e/i7773e.pdf And, here’s a decent example of why sponge ID by non-microscopic sight is not always reliable:
https://www.researchgate.net/figure...rating-variations-in-shape-and_fig6_248716402

OP
OP
A

Addicted2Reef’n

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first does somewhat resemble a colonial tunicate, but it's a sponge (some differences discussed below):

OP, I'll try and see if I can figure out some ID's when I get the time here, but be aware that sponge ID without a microscope and/or DNA can be difficult and/or inaccurate:
Thanks for your feedback. I have read just enough to understand that sponge identification if VERY complicated and many factors must be satisfied to make a positive id. I guess I should have asked if this looks familiar to any one else’s sponges in their system and did they know what it was. I also assumed that the diversity of sponges would be limited in the reef aquarium hobby to a familiar few just as other such animals that pop up in our reef tanks are. Thanks so much for you taking your time to look into it.

DO YOU USE A PAR METER WHEN PLACING NEW CORAL IN YOUR TANK?

• Yes! I think it's important for the longterm health/growth of my coral.

Votes: 5 7.1%
  • Yes, but I don't find that it is necessary all the time.

Votes: 16 22.9%
  • Not currently, but I would like to.

Votes: 31 44.3%
  • No. I don't measure PAR and my corals are still healthy/growing.

Votes: 14 20.0%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 4 5.7%
Back